Solve Fourier Transform Homework: Wrong Answer?

In summary, the book says that the right answer for the first part is C, and the right answer for the second part is -C. However, the attempt at a solution is getting the right answer for the first part but not for the second part.
jaus tail

Homework Statement

upload_2017-12-11_12-32-47.png

Homework Equations

if x(t) --> X(W)
then
x(-t) --> X(-W)
and
x(t+a)-->ejwX(W)

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2017-12-11_12-33-14.png

I'm getting right answer for 1st part. For second part book says right answer is C.
Where am I wrong?[/B]

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-11_12-32-47.png
    upload_2017-12-11_12-32-47.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 694
  • upload_2017-12-11_12-33-14.png
    upload_2017-12-11_12-33-14.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 711
Physics news on Phys.org
First you calculate x(t) by inverse Fourier tansform then by substituting t=-t and t=-t-1 you will get the result

So as per rules
if f(t)----> Fourier---> F(jw)
then f(t-to) ----> estoF(jw)
So then if there is now any more x(3(t-to)) then does the change reflect in esto also or is that a constant and only F(jw) becomes 1/|a| F(jw/a)?

This is what I tried for second part. But book answer is c

jaus tail said:
x(-t) --> X(-W)
jaus tail said:
So as per rules
So then if there is now any more x(3(t-to)) then does the change reflect in esto also or is that a constant and only F(jw) becomes 1/|a| F(jw/a)?
jaus tail said:
So as per rules
Yes you can apply this property. i told you in previous post to recheck ur answer by that method.

Thanks. But I don't know how to use inverse Fourier method. What answer are you getting? B or C?
It could be book answer is wrong.

I wanted to ask a doubt on fourier?
If we have to use time shift property followed by time scaling property then does the exponential part also change?
upload_2017-12-12_15-49-6.png

I can't find any solved examples. In laplace there were a few unsolved examples but then my answer matched when I didn't consider e^(-Ts) as part of new F(S). As in the second circle drawn above.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-12_15-45-56.png
    upload_2017-12-12_15-45-56.png
    53.8 KB · Views: 444
  • upload_2017-12-12_15-49-6.png
    upload_2017-12-12_15-49-6.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 743
A
jaus tail said:
Thanks. But I don't know how to use inverse Fourier method. What answer are you getting? B or C?
It could be book answer is wrong.

I wanted to ask a doubt on fourier?
If we have to use time shift property followed by time scaling property then does the exponential part also change?
View attachment 216565
I can't find any solved examples. In laplace there were a few unsolved examples but then my answer matched when I didn't consider e^(-Ts) as part of new F(S). As in the second circle drawn above.
Just multiply by e^-jw to the answer you got in previous problem.In only time shift exponential term come you can do it by simple integration

That gives answer but should it be e^-jw or e^(+jw)
since x(-t-1) = x(-(t+1))
So I'm not sure how to go ahead with this. Should it be +jw or -jw?

jaus tail said:
That gives answer but should it be e^-jw or e^(+jw)
since x(-t-1) = x(-(t+1))
So I'm not sure how to go ahead with this. Should it be +jw or -jw?
-Jw

Likes jaus tail
In original post I've used time shift property first and then time scaling. Can u help me as to why I'm not getting right answer there? I've pasted pic.

jaus tail said:
In original post I've used time shift property first and then time scaling. Can u help me as to why I'm not getting right answer there? I've pasted pic.
You have done right but you choose option b and option b is not matching to you result may be in option c there is print mistake with minus sing in first term.

Likes jaus tail
Thanks.

1. What is a Fourier Transform?

A Fourier Transform is a mathematical technique used to decompose a complex signal into simpler, periodic signals. It essentially breaks down a function into its individual frequency components.

2. Why did I get the wrong answer on my Fourier Transform homework?

There could be several reasons for getting the wrong answer on a Fourier Transform homework. Some possible reasons include incorrect calculation or input errors, not using the correct formula or method, or not understanding the underlying concepts of Fourier Transform. It is important to carefully check your work and seek help if needed.

3. How can I avoid making mistakes on my Fourier Transform homework?

To avoid making mistakes on your Fourier Transform homework, it is important to have a thorough understanding of the concepts and equations involved. Make sure to double-check your calculations and use the correct formula or method. It also helps to practice and seek guidance from your teacher or peers if needed.

4. Can I use a calculator for my Fourier Transform homework?

Yes, you can use a calculator for your Fourier Transform homework. However, it is important to make sure that you are using the correct formula and entering the correct values. Also, note that some calculators may have limitations, so it is always best to check with your teacher beforehand.

5. How can Fourier Transform be applied in real-world situations?

Fourier Transform has numerous applications in various fields such as signal processing, image and sound analysis, data compression, and even in solving differential equations. It is used to analyze and understand complex signals and can help in solving real-world problems involving signals and frequencies.