starting point

by rooben
Tags: point, starting
rooben
Jun23-08, 10:46 PM
P: 4
Can anyone recommend the best introductory resources for physics. resources for someone who has just started to learn the basics would be good.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
bassplayer142
Jun23-08, 11:07 PM
P: 422
Short of knowing basic algebra and math you should pick up a textbook on linear and 2 dimensional motion. The book will progress into Newtons laws, forces, friction, collisions, and other basic motion situations.
ehrenfest
Jun24-08, 10:22 AM
P: 1,998
Quote Quote by rooben View Post
Can anyone recommend the best introductory resources for physics. resources for someone who has just started to learn the basics would be good.
You should probably say what level of schooling you have reached (high school, college, etc) and what math and physics courses you have taken before if you want useful advice about this.

rooben
Jun24-08, 10:41 AM

starting point

I am looking for high school level resourses
ehrenfest
Jun24-08, 11:14 AM
Have you taken calculus? Have you taken ANY physics before?
rooben
Jun24-08, 11:43 AM
I have taken cxc level physics but I had a hard time understanding physics. so i would like some thing simple to start with.
ehrenfest
Jun24-08, 11:58 AM
I don't know what "cxc level physics" is but I think I have an idea where you stand now. I would recommend the following website:

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssc...ss/BBoard.html

in order to improve your understanding of the basic physics. The author explains things very clearly and thoroughly with lots of visual aids that make it easy to read. You will also need to find a source of problems to work through since you cannot learn physics without doing problems. For that I'm not really sure what to tell you but for a start you could go back to the problems that you had difficulty in the course you referred to.
rooben
Jun24-08, 12:13 PM
thanks alot for the link.

Register to reply