Formatting my MacBook Pro (how to?)

by Saladsamurai
Tags: formatting, macbook
Saladsamurai
Nov4-08, 08:33 PM
P: 3,012
So I did some looking around and it looks like in order to reset my MBP to its factory settings, I have to use the disk that came with it.

I looked in the box that my MacBook came in and all I have is two disks: parts 1 and 2 of OS X installation. Is that what they mean? Do I just put these in (one at a time obviously) and away we go?

Also, if I have programs that I no longer have the registration keys for, is it possible to save them? Or is that a silly question?

Thanks,
Casey
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance
Greg Bernhardt
Nov6-08, 03:19 PM
Admin
P: 8,531
Just contact support for the programs you lost the keys for, they can bring up your records.

Reinstalling OSX will give you clean slate with all default settings. All data will be lost though unless you back up the files on cd etc.
cristo
Nov6-08, 03:31 PM
Mentor
P: 8,287
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
Just contact support for the programs you lost the keys for, they can bring up your records.
Agreed.

Quote Quote by Saladsamurai View Post
So I did some looking around and it looks like in order to reset my MBP to its factory settings, I have to use the disk that came with it.
Just out of curiosity, why do you feel you need to reset your MBP? There could be a fix, if you're having problems.

But yes, to answer your question, just put in the installation disks.

Saladsamurai
Nov6-08, 09:29 PM
P: 3,012

Formatting my MacBook Pro (how to?)

Quote Quote by cristo View Post
Agreed.

Just out of curiosity, why do you feel you need to reset your MBP? There could be a fix, if you're having problems.

But yes, to answer your question, just put in the installation disks.
I have only had it for a couple of years (at most) but I feel like it does not run nearly as "strongly" as it should. These are supposed to be soooo great for running multiple applications at once, but I have yet to see it. It makes me wonder if I have done something to it that is screwing it up.

Everytime I need to open a file or something, if I don't have the necessary software to do so I just start downloading away with no regard to where this stuff is coming from.

I have it in my head "Macs don't get viruses....so what to I care..."

I am under the impression that this thing is invincible....but I should know better.

Register to reply