Buying New Laptop (Macbook pro vs air)

In summary: If you're not interested in gaming or intense simulation work, then the air is fine. If you are, the pro is better.
eme
Hey,
I'm a physics student looking a new laptop. The main uses for the laptop is coding (python, matlab), maybe basic simulations, ocassional gaming (starcraft and hEarth'stone), watch movies and do essays. The simulation part is just basic things, for more complex stuff i have access to a computer cluster.

After a lot of research I'm between this two models. I like a lot the macbook pro, it has a lot of power, i like the hdmi port but i really don't care about the retina display. On the other side i like the lightness and portability of the macbook air. I really don't know if I'm going to miss the second thunderbolt or the hdmi port.

Is the macbook air powerful enough for my needs or should i look for a macbook pro?
Heeeeeeelp

ps: English isn't my native language so there may be some gramatical error

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
eme said:
Hey,
I'm a physics student looking a new laptop. The main uses for the laptop is coding (python, matlab), maybe basic simulations, little gaming (starcraft and hEarth'stone), watch movies and do essays. The simulation part is just basic things, for more complex stuff i have access to a computer cluster.

After a lot of research I'm between this two models. I like a lot the macbook pro, it has a lot of power, i like the hdmi port but i really don't care about the retina display. On the other side i like the lightness and portability of the macbook air. I really don't know if I'm going to miss the second thunderbolt or the hdmi port.

Is the macbook air powerful enough for my needs or should i look for a macbook pro?
Heeeeeeelp

ps: English isn't my native language so there may be some gramatical error
neither
Alienware area51 far better value for money faster more ram more data better everything except a tiny bit heavier.

it is the best for both gaming and watching films it has power unmatched bar custom computers and comes with a free backpack that is great for carrying it. it can write essays like any laptop can and it has an epic keyboard lighting system

Whenever you post anything about asking for help on buying a Mac, you'll always get some custom PC fanboys trying to get you unnecessary hardware. If you asked about what kind of custom hardware to get, you'd get the Mac fanboys trying to get you to simplify. Neither will actually help with the specific question you asked.

If you're using it for regular computing and not hardcore gaming (neither game you mentioned take a lot of power) then I would recommend the Air over the Pro. Like you said, if you need power, you can use your cluster. I have a Pro and the only time I ever strain it is during compilation of huge projects and intense database activity, neither sustain their usage for long.

You may find that there is some software that won't run on your Mac, so I would invest in a virtualization system as well. For example, nothing on Mac or Windows even comes CLOSE to Valgrind, which is one of the most important developers tools IMO.

Go with the pro.

The air is designed people doing mostly lighter weight task like browsing or writing reports whereas the pro can handle MATLAB and simulations better.

Well, I wonder why one is called pro whereas the other is called air then :smile:

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Well, I wonder why one is called pro whereas the other is called air then :smile:
Pro is the powerful computer for work, Air is designed to be as light as possible.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
newjerseyrunner said:
Pro is the powerful computer for work, Air is designed to be as light as possible.
Yes, I know that. I was just being a bit satirical. Sorry :oops:

Likes newjerseyrunner
If you want to to work on it, you'd better buy pro. Air is just an entertainment tool towards me.

Pro is a better system, but I have a first gen Air that is still quite capable for many applications.

1. What is the main difference between a Macbook Pro and Macbook Air?

The main difference between a Macbook Pro and Macbook Air is in their design and performance capabilities. Macbook Pro is designed for professionals and offers more powerful processors, larger storage options, and a dedicated graphics card. On the other hand, Macbook Air is designed for everyday use and offers a thinner and lighter design, longer battery life, and a lower price point.

2. Which Macbook is better for gaming?

Neither Macbook Pro nor Macbook Air are designed specifically for gaming. However, if you are a casual gamer, Macbook Pro would be a better choice due to its better performance capabilities and dedicated graphics card. If you are a serious gamer, you may want to consider a Windows laptop instead.

3. Is there a significant difference in battery life between Macbook Pro and Macbook Air?

Yes, there is a significant difference in battery life between the two. Macbook Air is designed to have a longer battery life and can last up to 12 hours of web browsing, while Macbook Pro can last up to 10 hours.

4. Can I upgrade the RAM and storage on a Macbook?

No, you cannot upgrade the RAM or storage on a Macbook. Both the Macbook Pro and Macbook Air have their RAM and storage components soldered onto the logic board, making them non-upgradable. Therefore, it is important to choose the right amount of RAM and storage when purchasing a new Macbook.

5. Which Macbook is better for video editing?

Both Macbook Pro and Macbook Air are capable of video editing, but Macbook Pro would be a better choice for professionals or those who require more powerful performance for their video editing tasks. It offers a larger display, faster processors, and a dedicated graphics card, which can handle more intensive video editing software.