The focal length of a mirror. Help me maybe?

In summary: Thank you for your explanation. It is clear that the mirror is convex and the image is virtual. In summary, the focal length of the mirror is negative and the image distance is smaller than the object distance, with a ratio of 0.5. By solving the equation with these values, the focal length can be determined to be -40cm.
spaghed87

Homework Statement

Mastering physics problem 23.76 difficulty rating: two bars=difficult

A 2.0-cm-tall object is placed in front of a mirror. A 1.0-cm-tall upright image is formed behind the mirror, 180cm from the object.

What is the focal length of the mirror?

Homework Equations

hi / di = ho / do

Thin lens equation
1/o + 1/i = 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

I made a previous attempt but I know why that was wrong. However, if I can see that the object is 2.0cm high and then its image is 1.0cm high. Does that imply that the distance of the object to the mirror is 180cm times 2 = 360cm so its image is 540cm from the mirror. I understand I can use the height ratio to find the magnification. I just cannot see how I can find the obj distance or image distance. I still have 1/o + 1/i = 1/f and it is impossible to solve this equation when I still have three unkowns. :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey

check this:
http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/7376/mirrorgs9.jpg

ok so you focal distance is going to be 160cm
because we can say that the 180=3x
and the ratio between the sizes of the two objects is 2:1

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, thanks for the figure. My online homework still said that the answer of 160cm was still the wrong answer. I believe it is because we need to consider the thin lens equation after finding the obj and img distance. I cannot see how you are getting the focal length to be 160cm? I'd be happy if you would just be able to help me get the object distance or image distance to the mirror. I'm not sure if I can see why you set 180cm=3x. Is that because of the three unknowns? That is the wrong way to go about doing it if so.

ok, answer is 40cm.
x=dist from mirror to obj.
x'=dist from mirror to image.
m=magnification
L=vergence before reflection
L'=vergence after reflection
F=power of the mirror
y=object height
y'=image height
f=primary focal point
F=-1/f or f=-1/F
F+L=L'
m=y'/y & x'/x
L=1/x
L'=1/x'

abs(x)+abs(x')=180cm
y'/y=1/2=m=x'/x
so, x'/x = 1/2
abs(x)=abs (2x') (substitution from equation above)
abs(2x')+abs(x')=180cm
abs(3x')=180cm
abs(x')=60cm
so...abs(x)=120cm (180-60)
ok the problem said image was on opposite side of the mirror from the obj, so that would make x' a negative number. In mirrors, real images are on the same side of the object. In this case the image is virtual.
so...
x=120cm
x'=-60cm
L=1/1.2m=.83333 D (diopters)
L'=1/-.6m=-1.66666 D
F=-2.5 D (L'-L)
f=-1/-2.5=.4m or 40 cm
fun problem!

B. Woolverton, O.D. to be

Last edited:
40cm isn't right either, unfortunately. And I don't have the answer just yet! Hopefully, I'll have a solution by tomorrow!

An upward image means that the image is virtual. If it is a concave mirror, the virtual image is bigger than the object. So the mirror in the problem is convex. Therefore the focal length is negative, the image distance is negative. |i|+o=180, |i|/o=0.5, that is o=120 and i=-60. Plug into the lens/mirror equation.

ehild

1. What is the focal length of a mirror?

The focal length of a mirror is the distance between the mirror and the point where light rays converge after reflecting off the mirror.

2. How is the focal length of a mirror determined?

The focal length of a mirror can be determined by measuring the distance between the mirror and the point where parallel light rays converge after reflecting off the mirror.

3. What factors affect the focal length of a mirror?

The focal length of a mirror is affected by the curvature of the mirror's surface and the material it is made of. A more curved mirror or a mirror made of a material with a higher refractive index will have a shorter focal length.

4. What is the difference between a concave and convex mirror in terms of focal length?

A concave mirror has a focal length that is positive, while a convex mirror has a focal length that is negative. This means that the focal point of a concave mirror is in front of the mirror, while the focal point of a convex mirror is behind the mirror.

5. How does the focal length of a mirror affect the image produced?

The focal length of a mirror determines the size and position of the image produced. A longer focal length will result in a larger, more magnified image, while a shorter focal length will result in a smaller, more compressed image.