Register to reply

A person with no body

by bassplayer142
Tags: body, person
Share this thread:
bassplayer142
Nov10-08, 10:22 PM
P: 422
This may be an absurd question partially due to the fact that I don't know a lot about biology. But is it possible to sustain life for a person who lost his head. What I mean, is a machine that pumps blood and supplies the head with everything it needs to keep surviving. From the top of my head, I can only thing of blood and information from the nervous system as being an input to the head from the body.
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Doctors urge meningitis shots for vulnerable infants, children
Preemies may have higher risk of blood clots, even as adults
Tonsillectomy for sleep apnea may trigger weight gain
waht
Nov12-08, 11:03 PM
P: 1,636
I don't think with present technology we can interface a head to a machine. But if you duplicate the necessary conditions as provided by rest of the body, then I don't see why not.
jim mcnamara
Nov13-08, 06:35 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,381
The brain (medulla oblongata) controls blood pressure, respirations and heartbeat, for example. The headless body will not survive long.

Keeping bodies alive when there is absolutely no way to "wake them" violates medical ethics, anyway.

WaveJumper
Nov15-08, 05:48 PM
P: 649
A person with no body

Brain-death means dead.
Ivan Seeking
Nov16-08, 01:45 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
I think bassplayer is asking if a head can be kept alive, not the body.

There is an old scifi classic that played with this idea: The Brain That Wouldn't Die. Now public domain.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...11491774828467

That movie scared the bejeesuz out of me when I was a kid.
bassplayer142
Nov16-08, 11:28 AM
P: 422
Yes I did mean the head being alive and not the body. I realize its not possible but thought it would be interesting if someday it would be.
arildno
Nov16-08, 11:53 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
You may read Roald Dahl's classic short story on that theme..
arildno
Nov16-08, 11:58 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
Quote Quote by jim mcnamara View Post

Keeping bodies alive when there is absolutely no way to "wake them" violates medical ethics, anyway.
Why?
I see absolutely nothing unethical (in principle) in maintaining an individual's mental existence beyond the duration of his or her body's existence (for example, transferring the thoughts etc onto artificial circuits, creating a soul-bank).

It MIGHT be unethical to demand of others to pay the upkeep of such machinery if the disembodied souls would not be able to provide services of various kinds to those others.
xykotik
Jan10-09, 09:23 AM
P: 10
Isn't Walt Disney's head on ice?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryonics
Attached Thumbnails
cryohead1.jpg  

Register to reply