Register to reply

Free from hackers ?

by Saint
Tags: free, hackers
Share this thread:
Zantra
Jun24-03, 03:25 PM
P: 869
I use my knowledge for good, and not evil;) Besides, it's not what you know, but what those you know, know;)
quartodeciman
Jun24-03, 03:32 PM
P: 383
option to wake on lan or wake on ring-

Where is this?
Zantra
Jun24-03, 03:33 PM
It's an option that was integrated into NIC cards in order to grant remote power on access. It's not widely used anymore, if at all.
russ_watters
Jun24-03, 08:17 PM
Mentor
P: 22,239
Originally posted by quartodeciman
option to wake on lan or wake on ring-

Where is this?
Its in BIOS Setup. Generally you get to it by hitting "del" at startup.

but isnt there a virus that a hacker can put on to a system which goes through changing th edefualt settings to allow access for the hacker? im sure there is but as i dont do anything malicious or use virus's alot im not sure on this point
Sure, but how does he do that if he doesn't even know you are online? Thats essentially what a NAT router does for you.
FZ+
Jun25-03, 05:59 PM
P: 1,954
Originally posted by russ_watters
The best way to protect yourself on the consumer level is with a NAT router.
Well, really, the best way to protect yourself is not to put yourself in the line of fire in the first place.
Matt
Jun25-03, 09:29 PM
P: n/a
I've used both software and hardware methods of anti-virus. The software like Zone Alarm Pro or Norton is easy to use, however the major downside is the system resources that are used by the these programs. Norton Antivirus added nearly 30 secs to boot up and shut down and it takes up up a ridiculous amount of memory. Hardware firewalls are usually for the more advanced user and are usually effective but sometime more expensive. You know, really the best advice is to be wary of what you download and where you surf. It's all about responsibility :)
DR OF DEATH
Jun27-03, 09:21 AM
those are all very well to protect against virus's, but they dont always stop hackers, trust me ive gone through firewalls plenty of times.
Zantra
Jun27-03, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by drdeath
those are all very well to protect against virus's, but they dont always stop hackers, trust me ive gone through firewalls plenty of times.
Any decent firewall is useless if it's not setup the right way.
DR OF DEATH
Jun30-03, 09:02 AM
even the best set up firewall, can still be broken through by a half decent hacker!

Register to reply