What does b indicate for y=(A^x)^b

• Thread starter brandy
  • Start date
In summary, b in the equation y=(A^x)^b represents the exponential rate of growth or decay, along with ln A. In the equation y=e^(bx), b is a number multiplying x and is also the exponential rate of growth or decay. In the equation T=A*e^(-kt), k represents the percentage decrease of temperature per unit time and is analogous to the "half life" in radioactive decay. The percentage decrease per unit time can be calculated by dividing 50 by the half life. Changing the value of k will affect the curve and determine how quickly the temperature decreases over time.
brandy
^^^
what does b indicate for y=(A^x)^b
i was thinking it should be the rate of rate of change or something, idk.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[itex]y=(A^x)^b=(e^{\ln A \cdot x})^b=e^{b \ln A \cdot x}[/itex]

So b is a part of (along with lnA) of the exponential rate of growth (or decay).

--Elucidus

so wat does b indicate for y=e^(bx)

brandy said:
so wat does b indicate for y=e^(bx)
What do you mean by "what does b indicate? It is a number multiplying x! It is true that, for that particular function, y'= be^(bx) so y'= by. In this particular example b is again what Euclideus said: "the exponential rate of growth (or decay)". (He said that it was part of that along with ln A in e^(b ln(A) x) so you have just replaced his "b ln(A)" with b.

its an assignment question.
you have T=A*e^(-kt)
T=temperature
t=time
and the question asks, write down the value of k as a percentage and explain what this value indicates.
i thought if i figured out what b in y=(a^x)^b was i could explain what k is.
hence why i put it here and not in the homework section.

i have been trying to figure this out and i have some complicated excel tables going and stuff. but i still couldn't get it.

If you change k how does this affect the curve?

you are probably required to find out the percentage decrease of temperature per unit time. this is analogus to the radioactive decay where we say "half life" which is technically the time taken for 50% decay. so in that case the percentage decrease per unit time wud be = 50/(half life).

it means that in next 1 second that percent of matrial wud decay.

i think you should now try to figure out yourself what to do next. more explanation would be spoon feeding

1. What does the variable b indicate in the equation y=(A^x)^b?

The variable b in this equation represents the exponent to which the base A is raised to. It determines the rate of change of the function y with respect to the variable x.

2. How does changing the value of b affect the graph of y=(A^x)^b?

Changing the value of b will result in a vertical stretch or compression of the graph of the function. A larger value of b will result in a steeper curve, while a smaller value of b will result in a flatter curve.

3. Can b be a negative or a fraction in the equation y=(A^x)^b?

Yes, b can be a negative or a fraction in this equation. A negative b value will result in a reflection of the graph across the x-axis, while a fraction will result in a horizontal stretching or compressing of the graph.

4. What is the significance of A in the equation y=(A^x)^b?

A in this equation represents the base of the exponential function. It can be any positive number greater than 0, and it determines the initial value of the function at x=0. Changing the value of A will result in a vertical shift of the graph.

5. How can I interpret the meaning of b in a real-world scenario?

In a real-world scenario, b can represent a growth rate or decay rate. For example, if y represents the population of a bacteria colony and x represents time, then b would represent the growth rate of the colony. Similarly, in financial applications, b can represent an interest rate or inflation rate.