Register to reply

Experimental evidence of Gauss's law in electrodynamics?

by kof9595995
Tags: electrodynamics, evidence, experimental, gauss
Share this thread:
kof9595995
Feb17-10, 03:06 AM
P: 679
In electrostatic case, Gauss's law can be derived from Columb's law, so we can regard experimental evidence for Columb's law as evidence of Gauss's law. But what about non-static case? In this case we know columb's law is no longer valid, so we need experimental evidence to justify Gauss's law, am I correct? If so, could you guys show me some of such experiments?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
clem
Feb17-10, 10:32 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,256
Actually, the experimental evidence is stronger for Gauss than for Coulomb.
Since both depend on the exponent 2 in Coulomb's law, testing Gauss is used as a test for that exponent. Today, most tests are interpreted as a limit on the mass of the photon, since zero mass leads to the 1/r^2. you could go to <http://pdg.lbl.gov/> and go to the photon to see recent experimental tests.
kof9595995
Feb17-10, 12:14 PM
P: 679
Emm, true.
Actually yesterday an Italian guy came to our school and gave a seminar, discussed what can we get for EM wave if divE=0 is not necessarily true in pure void (He's a mathematician not physicist). I just didn't get the point, because i think divE=0 is well examined by experiments, and he mentioned it might not be true because we couldn't choose a reference frame relatively at rest to the EM wave(i might not hear him very clearly, but definitely something involving reference frame), but I couldn't see the logic.....Do you guys understand?
Anyway that reminds me to check if there's any experiment done in a non-lab frame (relatively moving w.r.t earth)

Register to reply