Register to reply

Experimental evidence of Gauss's law in electrodynamics?

by kof9595995
Tags: electrodynamics, evidence, experimental, gauss
Share this thread:
kof9595995
Feb17-10, 03:06 AM
P: 679
In electrostatic case, Gauss's law can be derived from Columb's law, so we can regard experimental evidence for Columb's law as evidence of Gauss's law. But what about non-static case? In this case we know columb's law is no longer valid, so we need experimental evidence to justify Gauss's law, am I correct? If so, could you guys show me some of such experiments?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
clem
Feb17-10, 10:32 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,261
Actually, the experimental evidence is stronger for Gauss than for Coulomb.
Since both depend on the exponent 2 in Coulomb's law, testing Gauss is used as a test for that exponent. Today, most tests are interpreted as a limit on the mass of the photon, since zero mass leads to the 1/r^2. you could go to <http://pdg.lbl.gov/> and go to the photon to see recent experimental tests.
kof9595995
Feb17-10, 12:14 PM
P: 679
Emm, true.
Actually yesterday an Italian guy came to our school and gave a seminar, discussed what can we get for EM wave if divE=0 is not necessarily true in pure void (He's a mathematician not physicist). I just didn't get the point, because i think divE=0 is well examined by experiments, and he mentioned it might not be true because we couldn't choose a reference frame relatively at rest to the EM wave(i might not hear him very clearly, but definitely something involving reference frame), but I couldn't see the logic.....Do you guys understand?
Anyway that reminds me to check if there's any experiment done in a non-lab frame (relatively moving w.r.t earth)

Register to reply