Non-Jackson graduate E&M course?

In summary: You also need to learn about vector calculus, integral calculus, and partial differential equations. You're going to have to do some reading outside of E&M to get these things. In summary, using Jackson is not necessary for a graduate level E&M class, but it is helpful. It is also cheaper to use than other texts.
Ryan007
Has anyone had any experience with a graduate E&M class that didn't use Jackson? Is Jackson necessary? I have it at home and it's a very difficult read and the problems are impossible. I have other E&M books and I can actually learn E&M from them.

My grad E&M class (master's program) didn't use Jackson (since very recently). I was wondering what I missed since it seems that almost every graduate E&M class uses it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The only other alternative text that I know of at the graduate level is the E&M text by Landau and Lifgarbagez.

Note that Jackson is difficult because the subject matter is difficult. Granted that he could be a bit more verbose with the text, but considering how much he covers in that text, it is no wonder that not many other textbook authors are willing to tackle that subject at that level.

Zz.

We used Panofsky and Phillips in the MS program I was in. Jackson was usual, but the prof thought that too many students were getting problem solutions off the net, so...

From what I've seen of Jackson, I'd have preferred it, but this wasn't a bad text and it was an order of magnitude cheaper. :-)

The first semester of my graduate E&M, we used Jackson. But people started complaining about the homework, so the professor stopped taking the problems from Jackson and substituted his own (he still used Jackson's notation and outline to teach the course). His problems were just as hard as Jackson's, but now we couldn't reference Homer Reid online. I don't think it's Jackson's fault that E&M sucks.

How do you ever intend to get any research done if you don't learn to solve an impossible problem or two?

Jackson is a math book, not an E&M book. You already know electrodynamics. What you don't know (probably) are the important mathematical techniques used to study partial differential equations in more general situations than the highly-symmetric setups found in Griffiths.

Related to Non-Jackson graduate E&M course?

1. What is the difference between the "Non-Jackson graduate E&M course" and the regular E&M course?

The "Non-Jackson graduate E&M course" is designed specifically for students who did not graduate from Jackson College. It covers the same material as the regular E&M course, but may have a different structure or pace. It also may have additional support or resources for non-Jackson students.

2. Is this course open to students from all academic backgrounds?

Yes, the "Non-Jackson graduate E&M course" is open to students from all academic backgrounds. It is designed to provide a comprehensive introduction to electromagnetic theory for anyone interested in the subject, regardless of their major or previous coursework.

3. Are there any prerequisites for this course?

There are no specific prerequisites for the "Non-Jackson graduate E&M course," but a strong foundation in calculus and physics is highly recommended. Some prior knowledge of vector calculus and basic electricity and magnetism concepts will also be helpful.

4. Will this course cover both classical and modern electromagnetic theory?

Yes, the "Non-Jackson graduate E&M course" will cover both classical and modern electromagnetic theory. It will provide an overview of the fundamental principles of classical electromagnetism, as well as an introduction to modern topics such as Maxwell's equations, electromagnetic waves, and special relativity.

5. What can I expect from the assignments and exams in this course?

The assignments and exams in the "Non-Jackson graduate E&M course" will assess your understanding of the course material and your ability to apply it to solve problems. They may include written assignments, problem sets, and exams. There may also be opportunities for hands-on experiments or simulations to further enhance your learning experience.