Checking whether my Diff EQ limit problem is correct

In summary, the conversation is about solving a spring differential equation and finding an equation of motion. The question is whether the weight ever passes through its equilibrium position. The solution for x is x = e^(-8t) * (.5 - 2t), and to check if it reaches equilibrium, the limit of x as t approaches infinity is taken. Using L'Hopital's rule, the limit is found to be 0, indicating that the weight never passes through equilibrium. The conversation also discusses the importance of the damping force in determining the behavior of the system.
lilmul123
figured it out, thanks

Figured it out, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lilmul123 said:
I believe I have solved the problem, I just want to make sure of its correctness.

I was to solve a spring differential equation that involved a damping force and to create a equation of motion. I did. Now, I need to figure out whether the weight ever passes through its equilibrium. The equation I ended up with is

x = e^(-8t) * (.5 - 2t) where x is displacement and t is time.

Now, to check whether weight passes through the equilibrium, what I did was set up the limit as x approaches infinity of (.5 - 2t)/(e^8t). Then, I used l'hopital's rule to find the limit as x approaches infinity of (-2)/(8e^8t). This comes out to be that the limit is 0, and therefore, the spring never passes through the equilibrium and there is no t-value.

Is my logic sound and my math correct?

I think you wrote the wrong thing. Don't you want to take the limit as t goes to infinity?

lilmul123 said:
I believe I have solved the problem, I just want to make sure of its correctness.

I was to solve a spring differential equation that involved a damping force and to create a equation of motion. I did. Now, I need to figure out whether the weight ever passes through its equilibrium. The equation I ended up with is

x = e^(-8t) * (.5 - 2t) where x is displacement and t is time.

Now, to check whether weight passes through the equilibrium, what I did was set up the limit as t approaches infinity of (.5 - 2t)/(e^8t). Then, I used l'hopital's rule to find the limit as t approaches infinity of (-2)/(8e^8t). This comes out to be that the limit is 0, and therefore, the spring never passes through the equilibrium and there is no t-value.

Is my logic sound and my math correct?

No, your logic isn't sound, assuming your solution for x is correct. Presuming the equilibrium position is x = 0 the question is asking whether that happens for t > 0.

lilmul123 said:
Right, and as t goes to infinity, it seems x gets closer and closer to x=0, but will never hit zero, is that correct or am I still lost?

It isn't asking you about the limit as t goes to infinity. It is asking whether there are any finite values of t where x hits the equilibrium position.

Stop with the infinitely large bit. The question has nothing to do with infinity. The question is whether x = 0 for any value of t. It isn't a rocket science question. Look at your equation.

You're welcome. The point of questions like that is that it depends on the damping. If the system is damped strongly enough it might just ooze down towards equilibrium. Otherwise it might do as in this problem, cross equilibrium once and settle towards equilibrium. Or if it is underdamped, it might oscillate around equilibrium as it settles.

1. How do I check if my differential equation limit problem is correct?

To check if your differential equation limit problem is correct, you can use various methods such as substitution, graphing, or solving numerically. It is important to also double-check your calculations and make sure they follow the correct procedures.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when checking a differential equation limit problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when checking a differential equation limit problem include not simplifying the equation, missing negative signs, and miscalculating the limits. It is also important to check if the given solution satisfies the original equation.

3. Can I use a calculator to check my differential equation limit problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to check your differential equation limit problem. However, it is important to understand the steps and concepts involved in solving the problem rather than relying solely on the calculator.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for differential equation limit problems?

To improve your problem-solving skills for differential equation limit problems, it is important to practice regularly and work on a variety of problems. It can also be helpful to review the basic concepts and formulas involved in solving these types of problems.

5. Is it necessary to check my differential equation limit problem?

Yes, it is necessary to check your differential equation limit problem to ensure that you have correctly solved the problem and to identify any potential errors. This will also help you understand the solution better and improve your understanding of the concept.