AC & DC Capacitor: Problem & Difference

In summary, a person had mistakenly used a DC capacitor in an AC application, but the product is still working satisfactorily. They are looking for information on the construction and differences between AC and DC capacitors. Some possible issues with using a DC capacitor in an AC application include higher loss tangent and nonlinearity, and the need to pay attention to polarity. It is generally recommended to use an AC capacitor for AC applications.
Mahadev
Helloooooooooooooooooooooooo...
By mistake i had used DC capacitor in AC application, but the product is working satisfactorly. still i want to know what is the problem in this can anybody tell me about construction of ac & DC capacitor and the difference between the same

Thanks N Regards
Mahadev Mittu

Engineering news on Phys.org
The only thing I can think of is that the AC capacitor would likely be designed for low inductance at 50-60hz.

I think the electrolytic caps will have a higher loss tangent, more nonlinear and maybe burn out if driven hard (up to the rated voltage) ... they are polar so best not reverse voltage ... probably ok small signal but will distort signal i think. Best

To Mah-
A so called DC cap requires a DC voltage ( correct polarity) across it to form the correct capacitance and also avoid a reversal of voltage which may cause it to go non linear. For small AC signals and non critical applications they may well work and you may not notice any effects -- but you will not know what capacity or losses it may have , and they may change with time. Best to avoid .

I think that the DC capacitor is polarized , so you have to pay attention when using it for the poles(+ and -) while it doesn't matter for the AC capacitor cz the voltage changes from + to -.

Mahadev said:
Helloooooooooooooooooooooooo...
By mistake i had used DC capacitor in AC application, but the product is working satisfactorly. still i want to know what is the problem in this can anybody tell me about construction of ac & DC capacitor and the difference between the same

Thanks N Regards
Mahadev Mittu

dear sir

i am also having the same dout, if you got answer pl send me too

FAQ: AC & DC Capacitor: Problem & Difference

What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric.

What is the difference between AC and DC capacitors?

The main difference between AC and DC capacitors is their ability to handle different types of electrical currents. AC capacitors are designed to handle alternating current, while DC capacitors are designed for direct current. This means that AC capacitors are able to store and release energy in a cyclical manner, while DC capacitors can only store and release energy in one direction.

What are the common problems with capacitors?

The most common problems with capacitors include leakage, short circuits, and reduced capacitance. Leakage occurs when the dielectric material breaks down, allowing the stored charge to leak out. Short circuits can occur when the dielectric material fails, causing the plates to come into direct contact. This can result in a sudden discharge of energy, potentially damaging the capacitor and other components. Reduced capacitance can occur due to aging or damage to the dielectric material, resulting in a decrease in the capacitor's ability to store energy.

How do you test a capacitor?

There are a few different ways to test a capacitor, depending on the type of capacitor and the equipment available. One common method is to use a multimeter to measure the capacitance, resistance, and voltage of the capacitor. Another method is to use an oscilloscope to measure the charge and discharge cycles of the capacitor. Additionally, specialized capacitor testing equipment can also be used to accurately measure the capacitance and other parameters of the capacitor.

Can a capacitor store an unlimited amount of charge?

No, a capacitor has a limit to how much charge it can store, known as its maximum capacitance. Once the maximum capacitance is reached, any additional charge will cause the capacitor to fail or discharge. It is important to carefully choose a capacitor with the appropriate capacitance for the desired application to avoid overloading and damaging the capacitor.

Back