Help Needed: Frequency to Voltage Converter Knowledge

In summary, the conversation discusses a student seeking help with understanding the principle of frequency to voltage conversion. The conversation suggests considering a voltage versus frequency graph of an LR or CR series circuit, with a reactive component acting as a variable voltage divider. The use of a diode and capacitor is also mentioned to smooth out the waveform. The student is advised to refer to their circuits book for further information and to look into the ADVFC32 converter for their project needs.
spacecowboy
hello! Nice to communicate with your guys! I'm a student who is studying in double E subject. I found some problems when I'm doing the new project this term. Is there some one can help me to say something about the principle of the frequency to voltage converter? I'm really confusing with this part of knowledge now... thanks a lot for helping! :confused:

Engineering news on Phys.org
KISS - think of a voltage versus frequency graph of the components in an LR or CR series circuit as driven by a voltage source. Hint, the reactance works like a variable voltage divider.

Now rectify with a diode and a cap to smooth out the waveform...

You choose the reactive component to change whether the voltage increases or decreases in frequency.

That help?

Cliff

yeah, That make me feel better about this~thanks,however, can u tell me some more details about this? For instance, something about the specification of the components of Frequency to voltage converter?

Well, what frequency range and voltage are you looking to input/output?

The rules of the forum are to assist, not provide solutions.

I'd say the first step for you is to look in your circuits book for the series LR or CR circuits and decide which one provides a voltage curve you can use. Obviously there are other ways to do this as well, if you find one you could explore that too. I suggested a simple start that should be in your textbook with plenty of examples.

Cliff

Thanks for helping me! And I have found one Frequency to voltage converter, which fit for our project needs. And I have got the specification of this converter, ADVFC32. Thanks a lot for help again~

1. What is a frequency to voltage converter?

A frequency to voltage converter is a type of electronic circuit that converts an input frequency signal into a corresponding output voltage signal. It is commonly used in various applications such as motor speed control, frequency measurement, and signal processing.

2. How does a frequency to voltage converter work?

A frequency to voltage converter typically consists of a voltage-controlled oscillator (VCO) and a voltage-to-frequency converter (VFC). The VCO produces a signal with a frequency that is directly proportional to the input voltage. This frequency is then converted to a corresponding voltage output by the VFC, which can be adjusted to match the desired output range.

3. What are the advantages of using a frequency to voltage converter?

One of the main advantages of a frequency to voltage converter is its simplicity and low cost compared to other types of frequency converters. It also provides a linear output voltage that is proportional to the input frequency, making it useful for various applications that require precise frequency measurements.

4. What are some common applications of a frequency to voltage converter?

Frequency to voltage converters are commonly used in speed control systems for motors, frequency meters, and frequency modulators. They are also used in instrumentation and control systems, as well as in audio and radio frequency applications.

5. What factors should be considered when choosing a frequency to voltage converter?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a frequency to voltage converter include the input frequency range, output voltage range, accuracy, linearity, and temperature stability. It is also important to consider the type of input signal and the required output resolution for the specific application.