Register to reply

Logic Networks/Seven Segment Displays

Share this thread:
Fr33t
Sep23-10, 12:34 AM
P: 2
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Here's the problem:

Design a logic network that can display the characters in “APPLE” on a sevensegment
display unit. Write the truth table for the output functions C0-C6, minimize them
by using Karnaugh Map, and implement using discrete logic gates.
(Hints: Character “A” will be displayed if segments (C0, C1, C2, C4, C5, C6) of a 7-
segment display are turned on and segment (C3) is turned off. Since only 4 characters
will be displayed, input of 2 bits to encode them will be needed for the given design.)

Now, where I get confused is when it says an input of 2 bits to encode them will be needed. I understand that technically only 2 bits are needed, but I do not understand how to implement it using only 2 instead of 4. I've been searching and thinking of different ways to do it but I am stumped.

2. Relevant equations
Not quite applicable

3. The attempt at a solution
With 2 bits to work with:
00 = A
01 = P
10 = L
11 = E
A	B	C0	C1	C2	C3	C4	C5	C6
0	0	1	1	1	0	1	1	1
0	1	1	1	0	0	1	1	1
1	0	0	0	0	1	1	1	0
1	1	1	0	0	1	1	1	1
But what is the point of using a K Map for this? I am almost sure this is where I am wrong but I have no idea what to do?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
sevenseg.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
berkeman
Sep23-10, 12:39 PM
Mentor
P: 40,730
Quote Quote by Fr33t View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Here's the problem:

Design a logic network that can display the characters in “APPLE” on a sevensegment
display unit. Write the truth table for the output functions C0-C6, minimize them
by using Karnaugh Map, and implement using discrete logic gates.
(Hints: Character “A” will be displayed if segments (C0, C1, C2, C4, C5, C6) of a 7-
segment display are turned on and segment (C3) is turned off. Since only 4 characters
will be displayed, input of 2 bits to encode them will be needed for the given design.)

Now, where I get confused is when it says an input of 2 bits to encode them will be needed. I understand that technically only 2 bits are needed, but I do not understand how to implement it using only 2 instead of 4. I've been searching and thinking of different ways to do it but I am stumped.

2. Relevant equations
Not quite applicable

3. The attempt at a solution
With 2 bits to work with:
00 = A
01 = P
10 = L
11 = E
A	B	C0	C1	C2	C3	C4	C5	C6
0	0	1	1	1	0	1	1	1
0	1	1	1	0	0	1	1	1
1	0	0	0	0	1	1	1	0
1	1	1	0	0	1	1	1	1
But what is the point of using a K Map for this? I am almost sure this is where I am wrong but I have no idea what to do?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Welcome to the PF.

Everything you've done looks correct. Now just do the 7 K-maps (or just write the 7 equations) that define the logic that drives the 7-segment displays. The same logic is repeated at each display, and drives the 7 segments based on that 2-bit input AB.

BTW, I edited your post to insert Code tags around your table. This preserves the column alignment.
Fr33t
Sep24-10, 12:26 AM
P: 2
Thanks a million berkeman, I think I got it all figured out!

Register to reply