Solving Laplace's Eqn: Setting Zero of Potential

In summary, the potential in the region outside an uncharged metal sphere and an infinitely long metal pipe, placed in an otherwise uniform electric field, can be found by setting V=0 on the xy-plane and using the formula -E0z + C for r>>R. The reasoning behind setting V=0 is that a constant shift in the potential does not affect the electric field, and thus we are free to choose a convenient location for V=0.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

I have two quick related questions that I think will help clear something up for me.

(1) An uncharged metal sphere of radius R is placed in an otherwise uniform
electric field E = E0 zhat. The field induces charge. Find the potential in the region outside the sphere.

(2) Find the potential outside an infitely long metal pipe of radius R placed at right angle to an otherwise uniform electric field E0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I am mostly comfortable with the solutions to these problems, with the exception of one key concept.

Problem 1: If E=E0 zhat (for r>>R, then V for r>>R is -E0z + C)
The one hang-up I have is that for problem (1), you set V=0 on the xy-plane "by symmetry." Thus we can say C=0. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind setting V=0 for all z=0.

Similarly, from problem (2), if we suppose that the electric field is pointing along z direction, so again, the form of the potential is -E0z + C. Again, one should set V=0 on the xy-plane, so C=0. I don't have a clear picture in my head of why you set V=0 on the xy-plane.

Any explanations of this concept would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the electric field is the gradient of the potential, [tex]\vec{E} = - \nabla V[/tex] (for electrostatics), a constant shift in the potential [tex]V' = V + c[/tex] doesn't change the electric field. Therefore we are usually free to define the location of [tex]V=0[/tex] by adding a constant term to the potential. In your examples, choosing [tex]V(z=0) = 0[/tex] is just the most convenient choice, but it was not the only one.

1. What is Laplace's Equation?

Laplace's Equation is a second-order partial differential equation that describes how a scalar field changes over space.

2. What is the significance of setting the zero of potential?

Setting the zero of potential is necessary in solving Laplace's Equation because it allows us to establish a reference point for measuring the potential at different points in space. This reference point is usually chosen to be at a point where the potential is known or can be easily calculated.

3. How is Laplace's Equation solved?

Laplace's Equation can be solved using a variety of methods, such as separation of variables, the method of images, or the use of Green's functions. The choice of method depends on the boundary conditions and the geometry of the problem.

4. What is the physical interpretation of the solution to Laplace's Equation?

The solution to Laplace's Equation represents the potential field in a given region of space. This potential field can then be used to calculate other quantities, such as the electric field or the temperature, depending on the specific physical system being studied.

5. What are some practical applications of solving Laplace's Equation?

Laplace's Equation has many practical applications in various fields, such as electrostatics, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer. It is used to model and analyze a wide range of phenomena, including the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, the flow of fluids, and the distribution of temperature in a system.