Solving Laplace's Eqn: Setting Zero of Potential

by bcjochim07
Tags: laplace, potential, setting, solving
Share this thread:
bcjochim07
Nov20-10, 01:56 PM
P: 374
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
I have two quick related questions that I think will help clear something up for me.

(1) An uncharged metal sphere of radius R is placed in an otherwise uniform
electric field E = E0 zhat. The field induces charge. Find the potential in the region outside the sphere.

(2) Find the potential outside an infitely long metal pipe of radius R placed at right angle to an otherwise uniform electric field E0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, so I am mostly comfortable with the solutions to these problems, with the exception of one key concept.

Problem 1: If E=E0 zhat (for r>>R, then V for r>>R is -E0z + C)
The one hang-up I have is that for problem (1), you set V=0 on the xy-plane "by symmetry." Thus we can say C=0. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind setting V=0 for all z=0.

Similarly, from problem (2), if we suppose that the electric field is pointing along z direction, so again, the form of the potential is -E0z + C. Again, one should set V=0 on the xy-plane, so C=0. I don't have a clear picture in my head of why you set V=0 on the xy-plane.

Any explanations of this concept would be greatly appreciated
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
fzero
Nov20-10, 02:15 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,603
Since the electric field is the gradient of the potential, [tex]\vec{E} = - \nabla V[/tex] (for electrostatics), a constant shift in the potential [tex]V' = V + c[/tex] doesn't change the electric field. Therefore we are usually free to define the location of [tex]V=0[/tex] by adding a constant term to the potential. In your examples, choosing [tex]V(z=0) = 0[/tex] is just the most convenient choice, but it was not the only one.

Register to reply