Is Taking a CAD Class Worthwhile for Engineering Students?

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary: Additionally, it may be beneficial to take a drafting course and an introductory course in CAD, as they are required in your major. It would also be useful to consider taking a course in manufacturing fundamentals, as it will provide an understanding of various manufacturing processes and the use of CAD in these processes. Ultimately, it is important to consult with your academic advisor to determine the best course of action for your specific academic goals. In summary, it is recommended that you consider taking a drafting course, an introductory CAD course, and a course in manufacturing fundamentals based on your major requirements and academic goals.
Miike012
My degree is for engineering. This semester I will be taking a CAD class, but before I take this class I wanted to know if it would be a waste of my time to take?

Physics news on Phys.org
What engineering program are you in ? What use do you think the CAD package might have ? What kind of CAD package are you referring to ?

CAD ( Computer Aided Design) is a general term it my refer to AutoCAD, Solidworks, VHDL, Verilog, Catia etc...

Depending on your major and the software used in the "CAD" class, the class could be either useful or useless.

I want to be an Aeronautical engineer. The CAD class that I am taking is called..." Technical Drafting I " The description is .."Fundamentals of drafting including lettering, basic drawing concepts, geometric construction and multiview projection."

I added an attachment of the few classes they have... The picture shows the order that they need to be taken.

Attachments

• CAD.jpg
    CAD.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 392
You should definitely take one of them. I am surprised you are not already required to take a few.

At my school the guys in aero have to take a drafting course and a few courses that introduces them to solid-works and Catia.

I would suggest you take 105AA (or 252AA, 254AA, 256AA depending on how many you allowed to take )and 115.

I was in first year of undergrad and I had to take courses similar to 105AA and 115.

Well I plan I taking all the ones that were in the attachment that I sent you... Before I took them I wanted to make sure it was a good idea because on my school layout it did not say that I needed it...
If you don't mind briefly looking at ----> http://catalog.asu.edu/files/majormap10/ESAEROBSE.pdf

It tells you all the classes that I need for a bach deg. I also plan on getting a masters deg. Anyways if a class that is not on the website I sent you that you think I should take I would appreciate your opinion.
Thank you.

At my school the following courses are required:

Engineering Design and Graphical Communication

Introduction to design: role of design in engineering, problem analysis, conceptual design and analysis, systems thinking, detailed design, design for product life cycle. Technical drawing in compliance with Canadian standards: orthographic and auxiliary views, sections, dimensioning and tolerancing, assembly and working drawings. Sketching and CAD-based methods.

Manufacturing Fundamentals

An overview of manufacturing processes and methods with emphasis on understanding of the physical fundamentals of processes. The course will cover material removal processes, metal-casting processes forming and shaping processes and shaping processes for plastics. Students will also be introduced to areas of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD and T), engineering metrology including coordinate measuring machines (CMM) and the principles of reverse engineering. A CAD package is used.Taking all the courses you mentioned seems excessive. Taking 105AA and 115 should suffice.

1. Should I take this class if it's not required for my major?

It depends on your personal interests and career goals. Taking a class outside of your major can provide you with new knowledge and skills that may be beneficial in your future career. It can also help you to explore other areas of study and potentially discover a new passion. However, if you are concerned about your workload or need to prioritize your time, it may be best to focus on classes that are required for your major.

2. Will this class be too difficult for me?

This can vary depending on the subject and your individual strengths and weaknesses. It's important to consider the level of difficulty of the class, as well as your own academic abilities and study habits. If you are willing to put in the time and effort, and seek help when needed, you may be able to successfully complete the class. However, if you feel overwhelmed or unsure of your ability to handle the workload, it may be best to speak with an advisor or the instructor before enrolling.

3. Is this class worth the cost?

The value of a class can vary depending on your goals and the relevance of the subject matter to your future career. It's important to consider the cost of the class, as well as the potential benefits you may gain from taking it. You can also research the instructor and read reviews from previous students to get a better idea of the quality of the class. If you are on a tight budget, you may want to consider alternative options such as online courses or self-study materials.

4. How will this class benefit me in the long run?

The benefits of a class can vary depending on the subject matter and your personal goals. Some classes may directly relate to your future career, while others may provide you with transferable skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and time management. You can also consider the reputation and credibility of the instructor and institution offering the class. Ultimately, the value of the class will depend on how you apply the knowledge and skills you gain from it in your future endeavors.

5. Should I take this class if I'm not interested in the subject?

It depends on your reasons for taking the class. If it is a required course for your major or a prerequisite for other classes, it may be necessary for you to take it. However, if you have the option to choose from a variety of classes and have no particular interest in the subject, it may be best to look for a different class that aligns more with your interests. Taking a class that you have no interest in can be a disengaging and unenjoyable experience, potentially impacting your academic performance and overall learning experience.