Register to reply

(Small oscillations) Finding Normal modes procedure.

by Lavabug
Tags: modes, normal, oscillations, procedure
Share this thread:
Lavabug
May15-11, 09:30 AM
P: 899
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
The first part of the problem is just finding the Lagrangian for a system with 2 d.o.f. and using small angle approximations to get the Lagrangian in canonical/quadratic form, not a problem. I am given numerical values for mass, spring constants, etc. and am told to find the normal modes of oscillation and the normal coordinates.
2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I find the eigenvalues (eigenfreq, [tex]\lambda = \omega^{2}[/tex]) by diagonalizing: |V-[tex]\lambda[/tex]T| = 0. (V and T are matrices, also called M and K, they're the matrix of coefficients of the velocities and coordinates from the canonical Lagrangian respectively)

I get 2 ugly numbers for my eigenfrequencies, approximately 0.3 and 15.7.

Now I sub the first one into V-[tex]\lambda[/tex]T * (a11, a21) = 0
to solve for the eigenvector (a11, a21) which are the amplitudes of oscillation of both of my 2 d.o.f.(1 and 2) for this normal mode (1).

Question: plugging them in gives me a system of 2 equations of 2 variables. I am told that necessarily, one of the equations is a multiple of the other, but it doesn't seem to be true (using approximate values might have to do with this but I'm not sure). Is this correct?

If I believe what I am told, I pick one of the equations (the end result depends on which one I pick!) and solve for a11 as a function of a21, then use the orthonormalization condition: (a11,a21)(transposed)*T*(a11,a21) = 1 which allows me to find one of the amplitudes, which I then use to go back and solve for the other.

I am also very worried about approximating everything, at this stage of the problem I've already approximated decimal points on at least 3 occasions.

Can someone PLEASE help clarify this to me? Am I on the right track?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
grey_earl
May15-11, 09:34 AM
P: 170
You are on the right track, but don't plug in numbers until the very end. For a 2x2 matrix, you can do everything analytically. If you are stuck, show some more of your calculations :)
Lavabug
May15-11, 10:05 AM
Thanks. The problem is my eigenvalues are generally irrational numbers so in order to not drag on mistakes from finding the roots, I just approximate the eigenvalues which is what my prof does and suggests doing even for 2 d.o.f. problems.

I have a problem with the orthonormalization process, I'm never quite sure if I'm multiplying the A(transposed)TA vectors properly. Do I first calculate A(transposed)*T, giving me a column vector, which I then multiply like a scalar product with the last term A(not transposed)?

grey_earl
May15-11, 11:42 AM
(Small oscillations) Finding Normal modes procedure.

You must have a prof with a technical background :)
The order in which you do the multiplications doesn't matter. I prefer to first calculate T*a, which gives another vector and then take the scalar product with a transposed, but that's just because I find multiplying with a matrix from the left easier than from the right.
Lavabug
May15-11, 11:51 AM
Quote Quote by grey_earl View Post
You must have a prof with a technical background :)
The order in which you do the multiplications doesn't matter. I prefer to first calculate T*a, which gives another vector and then take the scalar product with a transposed, but that's just because I find multiplying with a matrix from the left easier than from the right.
Aha so its valid both ways, I can just use the "scissor fingers" rule. :)

The prof is actually a theoretician. :P

To get the normal coordinates, once I have the general solution both coordinates q (linear combo of normal modes), I multiply each by the inverse of the A matrix? Is this the whole matrix or just the corresponding eigenvector?
grey_earl
May15-11, 12:00 PM
That's the whole matrix. You can use your normalization equation to simplify things:
[tex]\vec{N} = A^{-1} \vec{q} = A^{\mathrm{T}} T \vec{q}[/tex] since [tex]A^{\mathrm{T}} T A = 1[/tex].
Lavabug
May15-11, 12:11 PM
That 3rd expression you've got there... Didn't think of that. :P I'd much rather transpose and multiply 2 square matrices with a vector than invert a matrix any day! Thanks, I've learned how to do 2 things more efficiently today thanks to you. :)

Register to reply