Finding the normal modes for a oscillating system

In summary, the system is conformed by two blocks with masses m (on the left) and M (on the right), and two springs on the left/right. The middle spring has a spring constant of 4k. Friction and air resistance can be ignored. All springs are massless.Find the normal modes.Diagram:|~m~~~~M~| Homework Equations ##L = T-V ##[/B]##T = \frac{1}{2}(m\dot{x}_1^2 + M\dot{x}_2^2) ####V = \frac{1}{2}[(
skeer

Homework Statement

The system is conformed by two blocks with masses m (on the left) and M (on the right), and two springs on the left/right has the spring constant of k. The middle spring has a spring constant of 4k. Friction and air resistance can be ignored. All springs are massless.
Find the normal modes.
Diagram:
|~m~~~~M~|

Homework Equations

##L = T-V ##[/B]
##T = \frac{1}{2}(m\dot{x}_1^2 + M\dot{x}_2^2) ##
##V = \frac{1}{2}[(x_1^2 + x_2^2) + 4(x_1-x_2)^2]##
##\frac{\partial{L}}{\partial{x_k}} - \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial{L}}{\partial{\dot{x_k}}} = 0##
##[A_{ij} - \omega^2 m_{ij}]=0##

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to guess a solution for the normal modes but of the for ##\eta_1 = x_1 - x_2 ## and ##\eta_2= x_1+x_2## but I does not works. I have tried to add some arbitrary coefficient to ##\eta_1## & ## \eta_2## unsuccessfully. Trying to find the eigenvectors is a pain in the neck since the eigenfrequencies are:##\omega^2 = \frac{5k(M+m) \pm k\sqrt{25(M^2+m^2) -14Mm}}{2Mm}##.
I read in a textbook that one could find the coefficient for the etas by knowing that the ratios ##\frac{M_{11}}{M_{22}}=\frac{A_{11}}{A_{22}}=\alpha^2## but for this case the first ratio is ##\frac{m}{M}## and the second is 1 .Therefore, this method doesn't help me :/.

I would appreciate any contribution. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have to solve this problem using the Lagrangian?

The Lagragian is not necessary, but is the only method I know. I believe that if I use forces the problem would complicate more.

I think the force method is easier but the results are the same.

I get a slightly different answer for the Eigen values but even then I think you could probably simplify it a little bit:
ω2 = k(1/M+1/m) [5/2± √(25/4+16/(M/m+m/M+2))]

I am not aware of any other method except plugging the Eigen values into the equations of motion and solving for the mode shapes.

Duplicate post.

1. What are normal modes in an oscillating system?

The normal modes of an oscillating system are the different patterns of motion that the system can undergo when disturbed from its equilibrium state. These modes are characterized by specific frequencies and amplitudes.

2. How are normal modes calculated for an oscillating system?

Normal modes can be calculated by solving the system's equations of motion using mathematical techniques such as eigenvalue analysis or Fourier analysis. These methods allow for the determination of the system's natural frequencies and corresponding mode shapes.

3. What is the significance of finding the normal modes for an oscillating system?

Finding the normal modes for an oscillating system can provide valuable information about the system's behavior and dynamics. It can help in understanding the system's response to external forces and in designing control strategies to manipulate its motion.

4. Can a system have an infinite number of normal modes?

No, a system can only have a finite number of normal modes. The number of modes is determined by the system's degrees of freedom, or the number of independent variables needed to describe its motion.

5. How do boundary conditions affect the normal modes of a system?

Boundary conditions, such as fixed ends or constraints, can affect the normal modes of a system by limiting the type and number of possible modes. These conditions can also affect the frequencies and amplitudes of the modes, resulting in a different overall motion for the system.