Measuring the size of a molecule

by ecy5maa
Tags: measuring, molecule, size
ecy5maa
May17-11, 07:23 AM
P: 30
Hi,

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
I am trying to determine the size of a molecule..by doing the oil drop experiment where we drop a tiny droplet of oil on water covered with a thin layer of powder...and then make calculations based on the diameter of the circle... the droplet forms in oil.

3. The attempt at a solution
However, the oil droplet for me is not making a circle..rather is spreading out irregularly. How can I fix this.

Everything i have used is according to this site:
http://www.practicalphysics.org/go/Experiment_633.html
but i have used talcum powder instead of lycopodeum powder
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
Delphi51
May17-11, 04:45 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,394
I never saw a circular oil patch when my students did this experiment.
An irregular size is not much of a problem because the whole experiment is more of an estimate than a measurement. Just estimate the area of the oil patch. You can make a very good estimate if you make a grid of square cm on a transparency and hold it over the patch. A nice touch is to estimate the minimum and maximum possible area. Use a number midway between these as your "best" value, but also work out the size of a molecule using the low and the high. Then you will have not only a "best" answer but a known accuracy range.

Register to reply