Register to reply

Voltage Reading/ Voltage Drop

by sportynumair
Tags: electrical, voltage, voltage drop, voltmeter
Share this thread:
sportynumair
Aug9-11, 03:13 AM
P: 10
When we take down voltmeter readings from the terminals of a Rectifier (rated 12V), we get the voltmeter reading as 4.5V. Does that mean the rest of the voltage is lost in the form of voltage drop? or is it because of the current drawn by the load? I would be glad if someone could please post the answer.

Thanks.
Numair
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Tricorder XPRIZE: 10 teams advance in global competition to develop consumer-focused diagnostic device
Study shows local seismic isolation and damping methods provide optimal protection for essential computing equipment
New filter technology uses inert gas to bore holes in high-quality steel
skeptic2
Aug9-11, 01:00 PM
P: 1,814
If you measure the voltage on the other side of the rectifier, with the voltmeter set to AC, what voltage do you read?
sportynumair
Aug9-11, 01:02 PM
its coming out as 4.5Volts...so i want to know if the rest of the voltage is lost in voltage drop? or is it because of the current that the load on the secondary that is withdrawing. thanks

skeptic2
Aug9-11, 05:14 PM
P: 1,814
Voltage Reading/ Voltage Drop

Voltmeters put a very, very light load on the voltage being measured so no I don't think the voltmeter is loading the power supply. It's much more likely there's some other problem causing low voltage.
yungman
Aug9-11, 08:23 PM
P: 3,898
If you don't have a filter cap, the output of the rectifiers is still AC( well, call it varying DC like you turn the negative half of the sine wave around and become like lumpy waveform), you are measuring the DC component of the rectified lumpy voltage. Put a 22 to 100 uF cap across the output and you should get the voltage.

If not, then read the AC voltages to make sure you have everything hooked up correctly.
sportynumair
Aug9-11, 10:56 PM
Quote Quote by yungman View Post
If you don't have a filter cap, the output of the rectifiers is still AC( well, call it varying DC like you turn the negative half of the sine wave around and become like lumpy waveform), you are measuring the DC component of the rectified lumpy voltage. Put a 22 to 100 uF cap across the output and you should get the voltage.

If not, then read the AC voltages to make sure you have everything hooked up correctly.
Thanks...but i want to know the loss in voltage is because of voltage drop? or is it because of the current drawn by the load?
berkeman
Aug9-11, 11:27 PM
Mentor
P: 41,090
Quote Quote by sportynumair View Post
Thanks...but i want to know the loss in voltage is because of voltage drop? or is it because of the current drawn by the load?
Post a sketch of your circuit, with the AC and DC DVM readings you measured...
yungman
Aug9-11, 11:33 PM
Quote Quote by sportynumair View Post
If you measure with just a multimeter, there is very little current drawn. If you don't have a filter cap, it is not accurate. To verify what I said, put your multimeter in AC Volt and measure, you should see AC voltage across the output of the rectifier. This is the AC I am talking about and this is the part that you miss when you measure with a DC Volt setting. As I said, without the filter, the output has a lot of ripple and it mess up your reading.
Studiot
Aug10-11, 02:41 AM
P: 5,462
If you measure with just a ohmmeter,
Do not make measurements in a live power supply with an ohmmeter - even a Fluke.
yungman
Aug10-11, 03:13 AM
Quote Quote by Studiot View Post
Do not make measurements in a live power supply with an ohmmeter - even a Fluke.
No, I should say multi meter, not a meter set in ohm!!!! That would be bad!!!! I changed the post already.

Register to reply