Where to start for master's in physics?

by sowhkdnaud
Tags: master, physics, start
Share this thread:
sowhkdnaud
Aug13-11, 07:51 AM
P: 3
Hi guys,
I started studying physics in my sophomore year in college (which I just finished).
I am taking classes like optics and relativity next year, and as I will be already Junior next year, I have been trying to gather some information about master's degree in physics or engineering in USA or in Europe, if they use English in the classes (I am an international student).

My plan is to graduate college with B.S. in physics and get a Master's in physics or engineering. But I am not sure from where to start this process - what aspects to look for when choosing universities, what things to do to get ready to apply for good schools, and whether they give FA to students studying for M.S.

I had searched online for a bit but could not really get information from the people who went through this, so I thought it is best to post a thread on this forum. If you have studied physics and went through this phase, know someone went through this process, or know a website that has this information, please kindly share your information.

Thanks so much in advance!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
ZapperZ
Aug13-11, 08:11 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,239
Is there a reason why you are aiming just for a Masters degree?

Many international students have this false impression that one needs to go for a Masters Degree first before pursuing a PhD degree in the US. This is untrue.

Zz.
sowhkdnaud
Aug14-11, 09:13 AM
P: 3
Thanks for the reply Zz.

I am a total novice to pro-undergraduate process.
Could you explain to me the difference between master's program and Ph.D?
I thought one has to go through Master's program before pursuing Ph.D.

So if I want to pursue Ph.D at Yale University in Physics or Engineering, I apply for Ph.D program right after undergraduate and I would be considered for their financial fellowships for entire period of time me being there, which are not available for students pursuing master's program?

Thanks in advance Zz.

Sung

Hobin
Aug14-11, 10:53 AM
P: 194
Where to start for master's in physics?

Quote Quote by sowhkdnaud View Post
Could you explain to me the difference between master's program and Ph.D?
Tadaah!

Quote Quote by sowhkdnaud View Post
I thought one has to go through Master's program before pursuing Ph.D.
This is true for most degrees in Europe. In the USA, it's not.
Jack21222
Aug14-11, 11:05 AM
P: 772
Read ZapperZ's sticky thread at the top of the forum.

Register to reply