Register to reply

Finding mass within a pulley system. Finding coefficient of friction

by Serendipitydo
Tags: coefficient, friction, mass, pulley
Share this thread:
Serendipitydo
Oct11-11, 12:18 AM
P: 18
Ok so I'm in college upgrading, and doing my physics 20. I have a hand in assignment due Wednesday and I can't for the life of me figure out these two questions.

6. The 4.0kg block shown accelerates across a frictionless horizontal table at 1.5m/s2.
Find the mass of object m1

A. 0.61kg B. 0.72kg C. 6.0kg D. 26kg

For m1 I have: FN=Fg. Fg=mg, so 39N. FT-0(no Ff)=ma . So FT is 6.0N. And then I'm lost.

8. A 45kg toboggan and rider decelerate on level show at 0.53m/s2. What is the coefficient of friction between the toboggan and the snow?

A. 0.012 B. 0.054 C. 0.22 D. 0.53

I got that FN=Fg. Fg=mg so 441.45N(rounded to 2SD). Fnet=ma so 24N. And then I'm lost. I know that μ=Ff/FN

Someone help me please!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
NascentOxygen
Oct11-11, 12:41 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,140
You have a combined mass of M1 + M2 being accelerated (together). Write an equation for the force that is needed to accelerate such a mass.
Serendipitydo
Oct11-11, 12:44 AM
I got the mass...I think. FT=ma. 6.0N=m1(9.81m/s2) So m1=0.6112kg

Now for the other one...

Serendipitydo
Oct11-11, 12:58 AM
Finding mass within a pulley system. Finding coefficient of friction

Quote Quote by Serendipitydo View Post

Now for the other one...

---
Ok I think I solved it. Ff is Fnet in the direction of acceleration? So since it's decelerating, wouldn't it accelerate in the direction of the friction?

So Ff=ma
Ff=24N

μ=Ff/FN
μ=24N/441N
μ=0.05442
NascentOxygen
Oct11-11, 02:14 AM
HW Helper
Thanks

Now for the other one...
Not so fast. You haven't got this one right, yet. You must determine the force needed to accelerate the combined masses, since they accelerate together.
Serendipitydo
Oct11-11, 11:55 AM
Quote Quote by NascentOxygen View Post
Not so fast. You haven't got this one right, yet. You must determine the force needed to accelerate the combined masses, since they accelerate together.
But I only need the mass of the one.
SammyS
Oct11-11, 01:31 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 7,794
Quote Quote by NascentOxygen View Post
You have a combined mass of M1 + M2 being accelerated (together). Write an equation for the force that is needed to accelerate such a mass.
NascentOxygen has asked you this question for a reason. Answering it will help you answer the question asked in the problem. More importantly, it should help you understand how to approach such a problem in general.
Serendipitydo
Oct11-11, 04:42 PM
Quote Quote by SammyS View Post
NascentOxygen has asked you this question for a reason. Answering it will help you answer the question asked in the problem. More importantly, it should help you understand how to approach such a problem in general.
I'm not having problems with the others, just when I need to find a mass with minimal info.
Fg1-FT=ma
Use the total mass of the system. The difference of force of gravity and tension on the rope would be the net force acting on the system.
NascentOxygen
Oct12-11, 04:31 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
The question supplies all the information you need. You have a mass (M1 + M2) being accelerated. The force that is causing the acceleration is the weight of M1.

One equation, one unknown.
NascentOxygen
Oct12-11, 04:44 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
---
Ok I think I solved it. Ff is Fnet in the direction of acceleration? So since it's decelerating, wouldn't it accelerate in the direction of the friction?

So Ff=ma
Ff=24N

u=Ff/FN
u=24N/441N
u=0.05442
That looks right.
Serendipitydo
Oct12-11, 11:15 AM
Thanks for your help. I tend to overthink these things

Register to reply