by sandy.bridge
Tags: fourier, series, square, wave
sandy.bridge
Mar7-12, 08:32 PM
P: 767
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
[itex]-0.5\leq{t}\leq{1.5}, T=2[/itex]
The wave is the attached picture.

I need to determine the Fourier Series of the wave in the picture.

I know that [tex]f(t)=a_0+{\sum}_{n=1}^{\infty}a_ncos(n\omega_0t)+{\sum}_{n=1}^{\infty}b _nsin(n\omega_0t)[/tex]

where [itex]a_0=\bar{f}=0[/itex] due to being an even function. Furthermore, [itex]b_n=0[/itex] due to being an even function also.

That leaves,
[tex]a_n=\int_{-0.5}^{0.5}cos(n\omega_0t)dt-\int_{0.5}^{1.5}cos(n{\omega}_0t)dt=0-\frac{1}{n\omega_0}(sin(1.5n{\omega}_0t)-sin(0.5n{\omega}_0t))=\frac{1}{n{\omega}_0}(sin(0.5n{\omega}_0t)-sin(1.5n{\omega}_0t))[/tex]

therefore,
[tex]f(t)=\frac{1}{{\omega}_0}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}cos(n{\omega}_0t)(sin(0.5n{ \omega}_0t)-sin(1.5n{\omega}_0t))[/tex]

Is this suffice as an answer, or am I missing something? My textbook is lacking examples so I just would like to know if I am doing it right. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
wave.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
sandy.bridge
Mar7-12, 10:30 PM
P: 767
I also had encountered another equation deeper in the chapter that states
[tex]f(t)=A/2+(2A/\pi)\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{sin((2n-1)\omega{_0}t)}{2n-1}[/tex]

Register to reply