Uncertainty Principle application to macroscopic particles

In summary, the problem given involves dust particles falling through a hole and landing on a detector at a distance d below. If the particles were classical, they would all land in a 1.0 micrometer diameter circle, but quantum effects prevent this. To determine the diameter of the circle where most particles land, the uncertainty principle is used to find the uncertainty in the particles' velocities parallel to the detector surface. This velocity then helps determine the radius of the landing circle. For the second part of the problem, the distance at which quantum effects become noticeable is found by reversing the calculations.
qban88
1. Homework Statement

The figure shows 1.0*10^-6 m diameter dust particles in a vacuum chamber. The dust particles are released from rest above a 1.0*10^-6 m diameter hole, fall through the hole (there's just barely room for the particles to go through), and land on a detector at distance d below.
If the particles were purely classical, they would all land in the same 1.0 micrometer diameter circle. But quantum effects don't allow this. If d = 1.3 m , by how much does the diameter of the circle in which most dust particles land exceed 1.0 micrometer ?
PART B) Quantum effects would be noticeable if the detection-circle diameter increased to 1.7 micrometers. At what distance would the detector need to be placed to observe this increase in the diameter?

2. Homework Equations
h/2 <= ΔxΔp
Vf = (2*g*d)^(1/2) for a free fall body starting at V = 0.
p = mv
3. The Attempt at a Solution
If I understand it correctly, the suggestion to this problem posted previously in the forum (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=352999) does not work. I tried using λ=h/p finding p by using the velocity of a free fall body given displacement d and λ would be the scattering but it does not work.
I also tried using the uncertainty principle assuming the uncertainty in Δx is 1.0 micrometers initially and from there I can find Δp and therefore Δv = 3.315*10^-13 but I don't know how to relate this to the distance traveled d in order to find Δx final which is what is being asked. Does the uncertainty in velocity increases as the particle moves and if so, in what fashion? Should I just do this as a particle diffraction problem? Having the formula or idea for part A would yield the solution to part B i believe.
Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the previous suggestion was looking at the problem wrong. They make a point of wanting you to use the uncertainty principle, so here's what I think they want you to do.

Using classical mechanics, you can determine how long each particle is in free-fall before hitting the detector. What you don't know is the particles velocity parallel to the detector surface! You know it's position in that direction to a precision of 1 micrometer, so you can use the uncertainty principle to determine the uncertainty in their velocity in the same direction. (the mass of the particles will cancel out at some point in these calculations if you keep everything in algebraic form up until the final solution).

That velocity should allow you to find some horizontal distance traveled by the particle, which becomes the radius of the circle in which the dust particles land. Once you do this, the second part of the question is just the same problem, but in reverse.

projectile motion strikes again!

1. What is the Uncertainty Principle?

The Uncertainty Principle, also known as Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle.

2. How does the Uncertainty Principle apply to macroscopic particles?

The Uncertainty Principle applies to all particles, regardless of their size. However, it is more noticeable in microscopic particles, such as electrons, as their position and momentum can change rapidly. In macroscopic particles, such as a baseball, the uncertainty is much smaller and not as easily observable.

3. What are the implications of the Uncertainty Principle on our understanding of the physical world?

The Uncertainty Principle challenges our traditional understanding of the physical world and the concept of determinism. It suggests that there are inherent limitations to our ability to measure and predict the behavior of particles, and that the universe is inherently uncertain at a fundamental level.

4. Can the Uncertainty Principle be violated or overcome?

No, the Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and has been repeatedly confirmed through experiments. It is a part of the nature of the universe and cannot be violated or overcome.

5. How is the Uncertainty Principle used in practical applications?

The Uncertainty Principle has many practical applications, such as in the development of technologies like MRI machines and electron microscopes. It is also used in fields like quantum cryptography and quantum computing. Additionally, the Uncertainty Principle has led to a deeper understanding of the behavior of particles and the nature of the universe.