Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle Question

In summary, the problem at hand is to determine the amount by which the diameter of a circle in which the majority of 1.0 micrometer dust particles would land exceeds 1.0 micrometers, when passing through a 1.0 micrometer diameter hole and landing on a detection plate 1.0m below in a vacuum chamber. This is a Heisenberg uncertainty question, where the uncertainty on the position of the particle is related to its momentum through the de Broglie wavelength equation. Using this approach, the diameter of the landing area on the detector can be calculated as the diameter of the particle plus or minus the de Broglie wavelength, showing the negligible impact of quantum effects on this scenario.
CJSGrailKnigh
a 1.0 micrometer diameter dust particles (mass 1.0x10^-15kg) in a vacuum chamber pass through a hole (diameter assumed to be exactly that of particle) onto a detection plate 1.0m below. By how much does the diameter of the circle increase

Homework Equations

This is clearly a Heisenberg uncertainty question and so,

h/2 = [tex]\Delta[/tex]x[tex]\Delta[/tex]p

or plank's constant over 2 is equal to the uncertainty on x multiplied by the mementum

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to rearange the uncertainty principle to include the equations of a one dimensional box velocity

v=h/2mL

with the assumtion that the cylinder can be considered a box. However this lead to the uncertainty on x being the separation and that doesn't make any logical sense.

I would appreciate any help on this. Also to give context to the level of depth in theory I have this is a second year Modern Physics course for engineering students.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you could give us the exact wording of the question. How fast is the particle moving?

AM

Ya that's the problem I'm having... I can't figure out the velocity of the particle. but here's the exact wording of the problem...

fig 40.48 shows 1.0micrometer diameter dust particles (m = 1.0x10^-15kg) in a vacuum chamber. The particles are released from rest above a 1.0 micrometer diameter hole (there's just enough room for the particles to pass through), and land on a detector at distance d below.

a) If the particles were purely classical they would all land in the same 1.0 micrometer diameter circle but quantum effects don't allow this. if d = 1.0 m by how much does the diameter of the circle in which most particles land exceed 1.0 micrometers.

CJSGrailKnigh said:
Ya that's the problem I'm having... I can't figure out the velocity of the particle. but here's the exact wording of the problem...

fig 40.48 shows 1.0micrometer diameter dust particles (m = 1.0x10^-15kg) in a vacuum chamber. The particles are released from rest above a 1.0 micrometer diameter hole (there's just enough room for the particles to pass through), and land on a detector at distance d below.

a) If the particles were purely classical they would all land in the same 1.0 micrometer diameter circle but quantum effects don't allow this. if d = 1.0 m by how much does the diameter of the circle in which most particles land exceed 1.0 micrometers.
OK. That makes sense now.

Given the mass and velocity of the particle, there would not be much of a quantum effect, unless I am missing something.

I think this can be approached as a particle diffraction problem where the uncertainty as to position is the de Broglie wavelength:

[tex]\lambda = h/p[/tex]

where p is the momentum of the dust particle at the detector. So the diameter of the landing area on the detector is the diameter of the particle [itex]\pm \lambda[/itex]

AM

Hmmmm... that was probably the right way of doing it. A classmate of mine (who is nothing short of brilliant) subbed values obtained using Newtonian results and got what seemed to be a reasonable answer so I used his idea and did the calculations that way. Also the question was made to show how quickly the quantum effects are considered to be negligable (I left that part out). Thanks for the help.

i also agree with Andrew Mason.
he is a good champ.

Related to Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle Question

1. What is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. This means that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa.

2. Who discovered the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle was first proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927. Heisenberg developed the principle as part of his work on the mathematical foundations of quantum mechanics.

3. Why is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle important?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle has important implications for our understanding of the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It also has practical applications, such as in the development of quantum computers and in precision measurements in fields like chemistry and biology.

4. Is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle a law?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is not a law in the same sense as Newton's laws of motion. It is a fundamental principle that describes the behavior of particles at the quantum level and is supported by experimental evidence.

5. How does the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle relate to classical physics?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is a key concept in quantum mechanics, which is the branch of physics that describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It is not applicable to the macroscopic world described by classical physics.