Calculating Fermi Energy in Graphite Using Free Electron Model

In summary, the problem asks for the calculation of the Fermi energy for a structure of graphite with a two-dimensional hexagonal (honeycomb) structure. However, crucial information such as the electron density and volume are missing. By making some assumptions and estimating the electron density based on the information given, we can calculate the Fermi energy using the formula E_F = (hbar^2 * pi * n)/m. Further clarification and tips on how to approach the problem are provided.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Graphite has a structure of parallel planes weakly interacting with each others such that for many effects it can be considered as two dimensional. Each plane has a hexagonal (honeycomb) structure with a single C atom by site which gives 1 electron of conduction. Assume that the model of free electrons can be applied to all conduction electrons, find the Fermi energy.

Homework Equations

Not really sure. Are there some missing data?

The Attempt at a Solution

What boggles me is that there's no volume given nor electron density. I don't think I can calculate the latter either, because even though I know there is 1 atom per elementary unit, I do not know the distance between atoms (not sure it even makes sense in a honeycomb structure). Thus I don't really know how to tackle the problem.
I know that [itex]E_F= \frac{\hbar ^2 \pi n }{m} [/itex]. I know that n is the density of electron for an area unit but that number is an unknown in the problem.
I'd like some tip to start the problem, thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing up some important points regarding the problem. As you correctly mentioned, there are indeed some missing data that are crucial for solving this problem. In order to calculate the Fermi energy, we would need to know the electron density, which is the number of electrons per unit volume. In this case, since we are dealing with a two-dimensional structure, we would need to know the electron density per unit area.

Unfortunately, the problem does not provide us with this information. However, we can make some assumptions and estimate the electron density based on the given information. For example, we know that there is 1 electron per atom, and each atom is located at a site in the hexagonal structure. We also know that the hexagonal structure has a lattice constant (a) of approximately 0.142 nm.

Using this information, we can estimate the electron density by assuming that each atom occupies an area of approximately a^2/2 (since the hexagonal structure can be divided into two triangles). This would give us an electron density of approximately 7.0 x 10^14 electrons/cm^2.

With this estimated value for the electron density, we can now calculate the Fermi energy using the formula you mentioned, E_F = (hbar^2 * pi * n)/m. The mass of an electron (m) is approximately 9.1 x 10^-31 kg.

I hope this helps you get started on the problem. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

1. What is Fermi energy in graphite?

Fermi energy in graphite refers to the energy level at which the highest occupied electron state and the lowest unoccupied electron state in the material are equal. It is a measure of the energy required for electrons to move between these states.

2. How is Fermi energy in graphite calculated?

Fermi energy in graphite can be calculated using the formula EF = (h2/8m)(3π2n)2/3, where h is Planck's constant, m is the electron mass, and n is the number of electrons per unit volume.

3. What factors affect the Fermi energy in graphite?

The Fermi energy in graphite can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities or defects in the material. Additionally, the Fermi energy can vary with the number of electrons present in the material.

4. How does the Fermi energy in graphite affect its electrical conductivity?

The Fermi energy in graphite plays a significant role in determining the electrical conductivity of the material. As the Fermi energy increases, the number of available energy states for electrons to move through also increases, resulting in higher conductivity.

5. Can the Fermi energy in graphite be manipulated?

Yes, the Fermi energy in graphite can be manipulated through various methods such as doping the material with impurities, applying an external electric field, or changing the temperature or pressure. These manipulations can alter the number of available energy states and thus impact the material's properties.