Register to reply

Are human beings done evolving?

by Kutt
Tags: beings, evolving, human
Share this thread:
Kutt
Dec24-12, 04:45 AM
P: 236
Are human beings still evolving or is homo sapien the final stage of evolution?

If we're not done evolving, have scientists hypothesized what the next stage of evolution might be like?
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Mycobacteria metabolism discovery may pave way for new tuberculosis drugs
Bacteria swim with whole body, not just propellers
Researchers simplify process to purify water using seed extracts
Charmar
Dec24-12, 05:08 AM
P: 64
http://physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=361074
Ryan_m_b
Dec26-12, 03:55 AM
Mentor
P: 5,400
Paraphrasing from another thread:
Quote Quote by Morse View Post
The Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium describes the necessary events for evolution to stop.
1) A population must be large
2) No mutations may occur
3) Mating must be random
4) No migration
5) No differential reproductive success
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthr...80#post3295080

Elite Jacob
Jan1-13, 11:20 PM
P: 3
Are human beings done evolving?

Is evolution the same as adaptation or is there a difference? I'm thinking if a person can adapt to something but its not passed on geneticly than its not evolution. Is that correct?
Drakkith
Jan2-13, 12:29 AM
Mentor
P: 11,472
Quote Quote by Elite Jacob View Post
Is evolution the same as adaptation or is there a difference? I'm thinking if a person can adapt to something but its not passed on geneticly than its not evolution. Is that correct?
Evolution is the change in a species over time, not the change in an individual. A single organism does not evolve. Hit up the stickied post on evolution at the top of this forum.
peter09
Jan9-13, 08:05 AM
P: 4
There are mechanism within our environment which act to increase/reduce a groups reproductive capacity - often called selection pressures.

I would suggest that there is currently active selection against young men who like fast cars :-)
Ryan_m_b
Jan9-13, 08:11 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by peter09 View Post
I would suggest that there is currently active selection against young men who like fast cars :-)
I know this is in jest but this isn't correct because it implies that young men who don't drive recklessly do so because of a genetic component. Be careful when examining traits to think about all the possible causes, don't just chalk it up to genetics.
Borek
Jan9-13, 10:07 AM
Admin
P: 23,363
Quote Quote by Ryan_m_b View Post
I know this is in jest but this isn't correct because it implies that young men who don't drive recklessly do so because of a genetic component..
Well, you can't be sure there is NO genetic component to this type of behavior
Ryan_m_b
Jan9-13, 10:13 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
Well, you can't be sure there is NO genetic component to this type of behavior
Of course, my point is that there is insufficient evidence to support any proposition that there is
peter09
Jan10-13, 01:47 AM
P: 4
I know this is in jest but this isn't correct because it implies that young men who don't drive recklessly do so because of a genetic component. Be careful when examining traits to think about all the possible causes, don't just chalk it up to genetics.
In the spirit of interested discussion, and acknowledging that I am pretty ignorant about the details of evolution can I ask the following:

Does selection actually have to act on the genetic component of 'fast car driving' ...... if the selection pressure is strong enough then selection FOR the 'playing computer games at home' genetic component could become dominant.

So - sort of - does a behavior have to have a genetic component to be selected against?

Register to reply