Register to reply

Brain's which Part motivates

by heman
Tags: brain, motivates
Share this thread:
heman
Mar14-05, 01:24 PM
P: 354
I just wanted to know that Brain 's which part motivates the Human and how does it do it........
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Manatees could lose their endangered species status
Philippine tarsier gets boost from Kansas research, and genetic proof of a new variety
Pangolins under threat in Gabon as demand surges in Asia
heman
Mar15-05, 02:35 AM
P: 354
i know u all know but who will motivate u to answer me ...i guess...
saltydog
Mar15-05, 06:14 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,593
Quote Quote by heman
i know u all know but who will motivate u to answer me ...i guess...
Well, I don't know about motivation in general but I do know a little about neurotransmitters and drug addiction:

We have a nice balance between neurotransmitters released in the pre-synaptic neurons with the corresponding receptors in the post-synaptic neuron. The relative "abundance" of neurotransmitters and receptor molecules can change, for example by the presence of drugs which mimic neurotransmitters. Chronic exposure to these drugs in the synapse can cause either the availability of neurotransmitter to decline or receptor molecules to decline since the drug "hyper-activates" the synapse. The neurons "adapts" to this by reducing the number of receptors or neurotransmitter molecules available to the synapse.

Now imagine removing the drug. The synapse now has a deficiency of chemical transmitters.

Because of this, the "efficiency" of nerve signal relay within the synapse is degraded causing "fatigue" of one sort or another. This "motivates" the drug abuser to seek more drugs in an effort to re-establish prior synaptic flow and is a significant factor in the "withdrawal" symptoms they experience when getting off of drugs.

Perhaps other forms of "motivation" can likewise be described in terms of synaptic neurophysiology.

Register to reply