What is the correct way to calculate streamlines of a vector field

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding stream lines of a vector field and the potential solutions. The expert summary concludes that the issue lies in the orientation of the field and suggests using a different constant for positive and negative x-values in the integral.
Jonsson
Hello there,

What is wrong with my way of finding stream lines of a vector field? Say I have this vector field:

[itex]\vec{v} = x\,y\,\vec{i} + y\,\vec{j}[/itex]

You can see a plot here: http://kevinmehall.net/p/equationexplorer/vectorfield.html#xyi+yj|[-10,10,-10,10]

It appears as if the stream lines could be [itex]y = log(x) + C[/itex].

I proceed to find out:

[itex]v_y \, \mathrm{d}x = v_x \, \mathrm{d}y\\
x\,y\,\mathrm{d}y = y\,\mathrm{d}x\\
\mathrm{d}y = \frac{1}{x}\,\mathrm{d}x\\
\int\,\mathrm{d}y = \int \frac{1}{x}\,\mathrm{d}x\\
y = log(x) + C
[/itex]

This looks about right. However there is a problem, when I look back at my vector field (http://kevinmehall.net/p/equationexplorer/vectorfield.html#xyi+yj|[-10,10,-10,10]), for values of x less than zero, it appears as if the streamlines should be a mirror-image of y = log(x) + C.

So my question, does the above streamline calculation have more solutions which I have missed? Or is there something else which is wrong, which is causing me only to find the streamlines for x values greater than 0?

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,
Marius

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your derivation simply does not care about the orientation of the field. You could see y=0 as region where field lines from both sides end, as the field vanishes.

The correct integral of ##\frac{1}{x}## is ##ln(|x|)+C## (where you can use a different C for positive and negative x), this allows to use negative x-values as well.

mfb, thank you so much :)

Kind regards,
Marius

1. What is the definition of streamlines in a vector field?

Streamlines are the paths that a fluid element or a particle would follow in a steady, non-turbulent flow. These paths are tangent to the velocity vector at all points and are used to visualize the flow pattern of a fluid.

2. How do you calculate streamlines in a vector field?

The correct way to calculate streamlines in a vector field is by using the vector calculus concept of a line integral. This involves integrating the velocity vector along a chosen path or streamline to determine its direction and magnitude at each point.

3. What factors affect the calculation of streamlines in a vector field?

The calculation of streamlines in a vector field is affected by various factors, such as the velocity and direction of the fluid, the presence of obstacles or boundaries, and the viscosity of the fluid. These factors can cause the streamlines to bend, twist, or even converge at certain points.

4. Can streamlines be used to predict the behavior of a fluid?

Yes, streamlines can be used to predict the behavior of a fluid in a given vector field. By analyzing the pattern and direction of the streamlines, we can determine the flow rate, turbulence, and other characteristics of the fluid, which can help in predicting its behavior in different scenarios.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating streamlines in a vector field?

One limitation of calculating streamlines in a vector field is that it assumes a steady flow without any fluctuations or turbulence. In real-life scenarios, fluids are often subject to turbulent behavior, making it challenging to accurately predict the streamlines. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculation also depends on the quality and resolution of the data used to define the vector field.