What is the correct way to calculate streamlines of a vector field

by Jonsson
Tags: correct, field, streamlines, vector
Jonsson
Feb25-13, 10:42 AM
P: 15
Hello there,

What is wrong with my way of finding stream lines of a vector field? Say I have this vector field:

[itex]\vec{v} = x\,y\,\vec{i} + y\,\vec{j}[/itex]

You can see a plot here: http://kevinmehall.net/p/equationexp...0,10,-10,10%5D

It appears as if the stream lines could be [itex]y = log(x) + C[/itex].

I proceed to find out:

[itex]v_y \, \mathrm{d}x = v_x \, \mathrm{d}y\\
x\,y\,\mathrm{d}y = y\,\mathrm{d}x\\
\mathrm{d}y = \frac{1}{x}\,\mathrm{d}x\\
\int\,\mathrm{d}y = \int \frac{1}{x}\,\mathrm{d}x\\
y = log(x) + C
[/itex]

This looks about right. However there is a problem, when I look back at my vector field (http://kevinmehall.net/p/equationexp...0,10,-10,10%5D), for values of x less than zero, it appears as if the streamlines should be a mirror-image of y = log(x) + C.

So my question, does the above streamline calculation have more solutions which I have missed? Or is there something else which is wrong, which is causing me only to find the streamlines for x values greater than 0?

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,
Marius
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
mfb
Feb25-13, 05:16 PM
Mentor
P: 10,836
Your derivation simply does not care about the orientation of the field. You could see y=0 as region where field lines from both sides end, as the field vanishes.

The correct integral of ##\frac{1}{x}## is ##ln(|x|)+C## (where you can use a different C for positive and negative x), this allows to use negative x-values as well.
Jonsson
Feb26-13, 04:25 PM
P: 15
mfb, thank you so much :)

Kind regards,
Marius

Register to reply