Cons of Stopping shaft connected to gearbox

• Thread starter chintu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shaft
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a shaft connected to a rotating object that stops every minute and starts again after 10 seconds. The person is interested in converting the kinetic energy from this process into electricity using an asynchronous induction generator. They ask about the need for a gearbox, clutch, and other components, and the possibility of storing the electricity or connecting it to the power grid. The expert summarizes that a gearbox only changes the speed and the use of an asynchronous generator may be difficult for a stand alone system. They also mention the importance of considering power ratings, cost, and lifetime when choosing solutions.
chintu
Hi,

I'm new to this field. I'm interested in knowing electrical motor/generator operations. I have few questions here could you please help me. Qtn: I have a shaft rotating a minute and not rotating 10 seconds. i.e 1min rotates + 10sec stopped + 1min rotates + 10...and so on. In this case does gear box provides constant output? or does gear box needs continuous rotating shaft? what are the cons if the shaft stops like this?

Thanks a million in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't understand what you mean, so you have to elaborate some more.

What is the prime mover of the shaft? What is it connected to? Why do you need a gear box? Do you need to break the shaft every 1 minute? Do you want to generate electricity from the rotating/kinetic energy stored in the shaft?

Thank you very much for the quick reply!

Yes, shaft is connected to a rotating object which stops every minute and starts after 10seconds. So I want to connect gearbox and then to induction generator for electricity.

What about a clutch?

Thanks again!

As I'm new to this field, I do not know much about components. Please don't mind sharing your views. I will put my question in other way. I have a mean(external process) which rotates a shaft/rod for a minute and stops 10secs and again rotates 1 minutes and so on. I want to convert this kinetic energy into electricity by attaching an asynchronous induction generator. Is it possible? If yes could you please give me what are the components that I need to add in between my shaft and generator? If not why? Does induction generator accepts breakdowns(10sec) of rotating shaft? If not, is it possible to convert this broken rotations into continuous rotation(to feed to generator)?

thanks a million in advance!

First of all, a gearbox only changes the speed. So to determine if you need one you have to look at the shaft rotation speed in relation to the generator nominal speed.

Problem is what are you going to do with the electricity produced. It is intermittent so you may want to store it in a battery/capacitor or something for continuous output power. Or is it going to be connected to the power grid?

Asynchronous generators are difficult to run in a stand alone system. A DC / permanent magnet machine may be easier to implement if this is the case.

There are a lot of possibilities, both electrical and mechanical solutions but it really depends on what you want to achieve, power ratings, cost, lifetime etc.

1. What are the potential negative effects of stopping the shaft connected to the gearbox?

The main con of stopping the shaft connected to the gearbox is that it can cause damage to the gearbox and other connected components. The sudden stop can result in increased stress and wear on the gears and bearings, leading to potential failures and costly repairs.

2. How does stopping the shaft connected to the gearbox affect the efficiency of the system?

Stopping the shaft connected to the gearbox can significantly decrease the efficiency of the system. The gearbox is designed to transfer power from the input shaft to the output shaft, and stopping the shaft can disrupt this process, resulting in energy loss and decreased efficiency.

3. Can stopping the shaft connected to the gearbox cause safety hazards?

Yes, stopping the shaft connected to the gearbox can potentially create safety hazards. If the system is in operation and the shaft suddenly stops, it can cause unexpected movements or malfunctions, leading to accidents or injuries. It is essential to properly control and monitor the stopping of the shaft to ensure safety.

4. What are the potential risks of stopping the shaft connected to the gearbox without proper procedures?

Stopping the shaft connected to the gearbox without following proper procedures can result in serious damage to the system and its components. It can also pose safety hazards to workers and the surrounding environment. It is crucial to have a well-defined and well-documented stopping procedure in place to minimize risks and ensure safe operation.

5. How can the cons of stopping the shaft connected to the gearbox be minimized?

The cons of stopping the shaft connected to the gearbox can be minimized by implementing proper maintenance and operational procedures. This includes regular inspections, lubrication, and following recommended stopping procedures. It is also essential to have backup systems in place to prevent unexpected shutdowns and minimize potential damage to the system.