How to couple/connect a shaft to a disk?

In summary, the conversation discussed the need to connect a steel shaft with a motor to an aluminum disk with a 3 inch hole. The question was whether there are standard fittings or parts that could be used for this, or if a custom coupling would need to be machined. The suggestion was made to use a hub, but the person asking the question expressed difficulty in finding one with the correct size. The conversation concluded with the suggestion to consider machining a disc with the correct hole size instead.
zuryum
Hi,

I'm new to part design/mechanical engineering and I have the following question. I know it must be a very trivial question for most of you guys :) .. but I'm new to this.

HRMUW.png

• Blue: steel shaft, 5/8" diameter, connected to a motor
  • Green: aluminum disk, 10" diameter, 1/2" thick, 3" hole
  • Goal: the shaft should rotate the disk

The Question:
I'm wondering how can the shaft be connected to the disk?

I tried searching for bushings, various forms of couplings, etc, but couldn't find anything that can connect the two.

Does this mean I would have to machine my own coupling, and there are no standard fittings/parts that would do the job?

FYI, the project needs high torque, so I'm guessing (please correct me if I'm wrong) that a coupling needs to have a large diameter as to apply the torque at a greater distance from the center.

Thank you!

Attachments

• HRMUW.png
    HRMUW.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 964
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think what you're looking for is called a hub. I'm not sure you'll be able to find something the exact right size for the geometry you've provided (typically a wheel/disc like shown will include mounting holes of some kind), but this will point you in the right direction.

Example hub for a go-kart:
s-l640.jpg

Attachments

• s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 848
Mech_Engineer said:
I think what you're looking for is called a hub. I'm not sure you'll be able to find something the exact right size for the geometry you've provided (typically a wheel/disc like shown will include mounting holes of some kind), but this will point you in the right direction.

Example hub for a go-kart:
View attachment 228720

Thank you for the tip! Yes I already tried looking for hubs like that, but couldn't find anything with the right size or anywhere near 3".

Why must the hole be 3 inches? Why not make it smaller, and use an off-the-shelf hub?

If it comes to a choice between machining a hub or machining disc with a hole match a standard hub I think you find it will be much less costly to machine a disc with the correct hole size.

1. How do I determine the correct size of the shaft and disk for coupling?

The size of the shaft and disk for coupling depends on several factors, including the torque and speed requirements of the system, the material of the shaft and disk, and the type of coupling being used. It is important to consult engineering guidelines and calculations to ensure a proper fit and avoid potential failure.

2. What are the different types of couplings available for connecting a shaft to a disk?

There are several types of couplings, including rigid, flexible, and fluid couplings. Rigid couplings, such as keyway or clamp couplings, provide a solid and permanent connection between the shaft and disk. Flexible couplings, such as jaw or gear couplings, allow for some misalignment between the shaft and disk. Fluid couplings, such as torque converters, use hydraulic fluid to transmit power between the shaft and disk.

3. How do I properly align the shaft and disk when coupling?

Proper alignment between the shaft and disk is crucial for the longevity and efficiency of the coupling. This can be achieved through careful measurement and adjustment using tools such as dial indicators and laser alignment systems. It is important to follow manufacturer guidelines for specific alignment techniques.

4. What lubrication is necessary for a shaft-to-disk coupling?

The amount and type of lubrication needed for a shaft-to-disk coupling can vary depending on the material of the coupling and the operating conditions. It is important to regularly check and maintain proper lubrication levels to ensure smooth operation and prevent wear and tear on the coupling.

5. How can I prevent slippage or loosening of the coupling between the shaft and disk?

To prevent slippage or loosening of the coupling, it is important to ensure that the coupling is properly sized and installed according to manufacturer guidelines. Additionally, using locking devices such as set screws, pins, or keyways can help secure the connection between the shaft and disk.