Finding potential difference of Va-Vb, circuits.

In summary, the conversation is about solving for the potential difference (Va-Vb) in a circuit with resistances R1=1 and R2=2.2 and ideal batteries E1=2.0 and E2=3. The equations provided by the individuals involved were incorrect and it was suggested to use Kirchoff's Rules to solve for Va and Vb separately. It was also mentioned that it is useful to assume current direction when generating equations.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, I'm confused, i know the loop rule and the sum of the Potential differences is 0 in a closed circuit but I need to find the Va-Vb of the circuit. Here is the picture: http://www.webassign.net/hrw/hrw7_27-40.gif and here is the info:
the resistances are R1 = 1 , R2 = 2.2 , and the ideal batteries have emfs E1 = 2.0 V, and E2 = 3 = 3 V.
Now I'm confused on how far I calculate, like I tried just going from Va to Vb, and it was wrong i did the following:
Va + R2E2 - E2 = Vb;
Va-Vb = -R2E2+E2 = -3.6;

Also i had another question, I know the direction of the current because E2 > E1, so the direction should flow counter clockwise, now when I run into any kind of resistor do I always use the current of the stronger battery? Like for instance:
If i go from a counter clockwise to b, When i run into the Resistors R1 and R1 again at the bottom, do i still use E2*R1, and never use E1*R1 because E1 is weaker then E2? :bugeye: Thanks.

I also tried to go all the way around a to b, and then back to a counter clockwise and got the following:
Va - R1E2 - E1 - R1E2 + Vb + E2 - E2R2 = 0;
but i ended up with Va + Vb = R1E2 + E1 + R1E2 - E2 + E2R2 = 11.6V, also wrong!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mr_coffee said:
Now I'm confused on how far I calculate, like I tried just going from Va to Vb, and it was wrong i did the following:
Va + R2E2 - E2 = Vb;
Va-Vb = -R2E2+E2 = -3.6;

Your equations are entirely wrong. What do you mean on R*E? The potential difference across a resistor is resistance (R) multiplied current (I).

ehild

You may want to find Va by making an equation in terms of Va. (using Kirchoff's Rules) Example: [Vb-(-2)]/R1 - 3 + [Vb-(-3)]/R1 = 0
You can then solve for Vb.. Try the same thing for Va. (That is easy. I showed you the harder of the two equations). Then you can find Va-Vb

Your other question has some problems. You could go all the way around the left loop and then around the right loop, you would have 2 equations and 2 unknown variables (I1 and I2) which are left and right mesh currents respectively. I wouldn't use Va or Vb in those equations, it will only confuse things and add too many variables. It is useful to assume current direction when generating your equations. The current thru R2 will have two components I1 and I2. They will be a sum or difference depending on which directions you choose for I1 and I2. The direction you choose does not matter, as long as you are consistent in your math analysis. If you get a negative current, you will know it is flowing opposite to the direction you chose.

Ex. I chose I1 and I2 to both be clockwise, my left mesh equation would be : 2 - (1)I1 - 2.2(I1-I2) - 3 - (1)I1 = 0

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric circuit. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How do you find the potential difference in a circuit?

The potential difference between two points in a circuit can be found by using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures voltage. The voltmeter is connected in parallel to the two points that you want to measure the potential difference between.

3. What is Va and Vb in a circuit?

Va and Vb refer to the potential difference between two points in a circuit. Va is the potential difference at point a and Vb is the potential difference at point b. These values are measured in volts (V).

4. Why is finding potential difference important in circuits?

Finding potential difference is important in circuits because it helps us understand the flow of electricity and how much energy is being used. It also allows us to determine the direction of current flow and the amount of resistance in the circuit.

5. Can potential difference be negative?

Yes, potential difference can be negative. This typically occurs when the direction of current flow is opposite to the direction of the applied voltage. This is known as a reverse potential difference and is usually seen in diodes or other electronic components.