1 mol of paper - how much is that?

• Thread starter ecet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    paper
In summary, the conversation focuses on calculating the amount of paper that can be produced from a certain number of atoms. It is mentioned that the mole is an important unit of measurement and that 1 mole of pure Carbon-12 atoms weights 12 grams. The speaker assumes that paper is made 100% of cellulose and calculates that approximately 8 grams of paper can be produced from individual atoms in the appropriate proportions to make cellulose. However, it is noted that paper is not 100% cellulose, so the actual weight may vary. The conversation also mentions the complexity of cellulose as a polymer, which may affect the weight of a mole of paper.
ecet
My question is a bit chemically, but...
What's the atoms, what's makes the paper?
How many paper i get from 1 mol of atoms, what contains the paper?
How many grams, or pieces of A/4 size papers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ecet. Welcome to PF.

Let's start with the mole (not 'mol'). Can you tell us what is your understanding of its definition? What does a 1 mole of something mean?

In order to know the mass of 1 mole of paper you first have to know the chemical composition of paper. Paper is a composite of various materials so it would be difficult to calculate.

Bandersnatch said:
Hi ecet. Welcome to PF.

Let's start with the mole (not 'mol'). Can you tell us what is your understanding of its definition? What does a 1 mole of something mean?

Oh, sorry, I'm from Hungary, and there it's mol, and I haven't read this word in Englis, so, yes, 1 mole of paper.
I meant, that how many paper can I get from 6x10^23 pieces of atoms? I know, it contains a lot's of type of atoms, maybe carbon, oxigen, hydrogen, ect...
If it were known (for me), that what types of atoms paper made of, and how many is the ratio of each other, than I maybe can calculate, that how much of the mass of the atoms, what I "use to build some paper from them".
I know, it's not a practical usefulness, but I've thinked about that, it's just theoretical :)

It's called 'mole' in English, but the SI unit symbol is 'mol', so it's easy to get confused. It's of little importance though.

O.k. So, you know that the mole is an amount of something.
In any definition of the mole you'll see that 1 mole of pure Carbon-12 atoms weights 12 grams (or, equivalently, 1 mole is as many entities as in 12g of C-12).
If we assume that paper is made 100% of cellulose (to make it simple), which in turn is made of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen: C6H10O5. That's 21 atoms per molecule, altogether weighing roughly the same as 14 Carbon-12 atoms.

So, if you were to ask 'how much paper I'd get from a mole of cellulose molecules', that'd be about 14*12=168 grams. If you were to ask how 'much paper from individual atoms, in appropriate proportions to make cellulose' that'd be 21 times less (since it's 21 atoms per molecule): 168/21=8 grams.

For comparison, a typical A4 sheet weighs about 5 grams.

These are rough numbers, since paper is not 100% cellulose, and its molecular weight in not exactly the same as 14 C-12 atoms, but the difference shouldn't be much.
If you care for more precision you can just research more exact composition and follow the same line of thinking.

An added difficulty is that cellulose is a polymer with each molecule averaging 1000 or so monomer units. This would increase the weight of a mole of paper by 1000 over that stated above.

Bandersnatch said:
It's called 'mole' in English, but the SI unit symbol is 'mol', so it's easy to get confused. It's of little importance though.

O.k. So, you know that the mole is an amount of something.
In any definition of the mole you'll see that 1 mole of pure Carbon-12 atoms weights 12 grams (or, equivalently, 1 mole is as many entities as in 12g of C-12).
If we assume that paper is made 100% of cellulose (to make it simple), which in turn is made of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen: C6H10O5. That's 21 atoms per molecule, altogether weighing roughly the same as 14 Carbon-12 atoms.

So, if you were to ask 'how much paper I'd get from a mole of cellulose molecules', that'd be about 14*12=168 grams. If you were to ask how 'much paper from individual atoms, in appropriate proportions to make cellulose' that'd be 21 times less (since it's 21 atoms per molecule): 168/21=8 grams.

For comparison, a typical A4 sheet weighs about 5 grams.

These are rough numbers, since paper is not 100% cellulose, and its molecular weight in not exactly the same as 14 C-12 atoms, but the difference shouldn't be much.
If you care for more precision you can just research more exact composition and follow the same line of thinking.

Based on your details, I tried to calculate the same way, and it's around your result: 7,7179... grams, what's around your result.

1. What is a mol?

A mol, or mole, is a unit of measurement used in chemistry to express the amount of a substance. It is defined as the amount of a substance that contains as many particles (atoms, molecules, or ions) as there are atoms in 12 grams of carbon-12.

2. How is a mol different from a gram?

A gram is a unit of mass, while a mol is a unit of measurement for the amount of a substance. One mol of a substance is equal to its molecular weight in grams. For example, one mol of carbon-12 is equal to 12 grams of carbon-12.

3. How much is 1 mol of paper?

The mass of 1 mol of paper would depend on the type of paper and its molecular composition. However, on average, 1 mol of paper would be equivalent to about 12 grams.

4. Is 1 mol of paper a large amount?

It depends on the context. In terms of the number of particles, 1 mol of paper is a large amount. However, in terms of mass, 1 mol of paper is relatively small compared to 1 mol of other substances, such as water or iron.

5. Why is a mol used as a unit of measurement?

A mol is used as a unit of measurement because it allows scientists to easily compare the amount of different substances. It also helps in performing calculations and understanding the amount of particles present in a given sample of a substance.