1st derivative of a discrete function?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rectangular box with two adjacent faces having areas of 36 and 63 and the task is to find the ratio of the largest possible volume to the smallest possible volume. Different approaches are discussed, including using discrete or continuous methods, and it is concluded that the best solution is to find the common factors and use them to determine the largest and smallest volume possible.
Bear_B
I have solved this problem but still have a question about it (problem and my solution posted below). What I wanted to do was express the problem as a function and use an optimization technique that would require taking the first derivative of the equation. The problem I ran into is: if using only positive integers, any function I could write out would have infinite discontinuities. Also, it does not seem like I could find the derivative of the function based on the definition of a derivative. Then I considered writing a discrete function, f(n). However, with the exception of series and sequences, I don't know how to deal with a discrete expression. I don't need a mathematical solution, but would just like to know the problem solving strategy that one would go through to optimize this problem similar to what I wanted to do.

Homework Statement

Two adjacent faces of a rectangular box have areas 36 and 63. If all three dimensions are positive integers, find the ratio of the largest possible volume of the box to the smallest possible volume of the box.

Homework Equations

V = l*w*h

The Attempt at a Solution

Adjacent sides with areas 36 and 63 have a common side, which I will call h since that's how I drew it. Since all side lengths are integers, we need only consider the factors of 36 and 63.

Factors of 36 are: 18 * 2, 12 * 3, 9 * 4, and 6 * 6

Factors of 63 are: 21 * 3 and 9 * 7

The only two numbers common in both sets of factors are 3 and 9. Therefore, the largest volume box has h of either 3 or 9 and the smallest volume box has h of which ever (3 or 9) wasn't used for the largest volume box.

Using 3 for h: 3 * 12 * 21 = 756
Using 9 for h: 9 * 4 * 7 = 252

Ratio of the largest possible volume of the box to the smallest possible volume of the box:

756:252 -> 756/252 = 3/1

A simple geometric problem when approached like this, but I don't really like doing it this way because it seems boring.
[Edit: Spelling and format]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A discrete function does not have a derivative. You could try ignoring the "integer" condition and treat the lengths as continuous variables but that doesn't seem to give a satisfactory solution. It looks to me like your solution is the best.

Thanks. That's what I originally thought from my knowledge of what a derivative is, by definition. However, as previously stated, I have little to no experience formally working in discrete mathematics and was unsure of my comprehension of a derivative and if derivatives might apply to discrete mathematics as well.

I assert that many calculations boil down to:
  • Do interesting work to transform the problem into one that can be solved by "boring" rote methods.
  • Apply the "boring" method to finish the calculation

If I wanted to approach the problem with continuous methods, my first thought I would probably look at the (l,w) plane and find the point corresponding to the greatest volume. Then, I may be able to analyze the shape of the objective function to enumerate all integer (l,w) pairs in order of decreasing volume, and stop when I get to one for which h is also an integer.

Hurkyl, it just felt like the problem started "boring" and stayed "boring." Yeah, it ultimately seems to come down to a comparison of integer-value solutions for the box. Your way seems more "exciting" though.

Related to 1st derivative of a discrete function?

1. What is the definition of the first derivative of a discrete function?

The first derivative of a discrete function is the rate of change of the function at a specific point. It represents the slope of the tangent line at that point and can be calculated by finding the difference between two consecutive points and dividing by the change in the independent variable.

2. How do you interpret the first derivative of a discrete function?

The first derivative of a discrete function can be interpreted as the instantaneous rate of change of the function at a given point. It tells us how the function is changing at that point, whether it is increasing or decreasing, and the steepness of the change.

3. Why is the first derivative important in calculus and other fields of science?

The first derivative is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a function and make predictions about its future behavior. It also helps us find critical points, such as maximum and minimum values, which are important in optimization problems. In addition, the first derivative is used in physics, economics, and other fields to model and understand real-world systems.

4. How is the first derivative of a discrete function different from the first derivative of a continuous function?

The main difference is that a discrete function is only defined at specific points, while a continuous function is defined at every point within a given interval. This means that the first derivative of a discrete function is calculated using discrete differences between points, while the first derivative of a continuous function is calculated using the limit of these differences as the interval approaches zero.

5. Can the first derivative of a discrete function be negative or zero?

Yes, the first derivative of a discrete function can be negative, zero, or positive. A negative first derivative indicates that the function is decreasing at that point, a zero first derivative indicates a horizontal tangent line and constant function, and a positive first derivative indicates that the function is increasing at that point.