2:2 from UK Uni, Masters in my future?

In summary, the speaker is a physics student who will be graduating with a 2:2 in Physics in December/January from QUB in Northern Ireland. They are interested in pursuing further research/academia in their physics career and are seeking advice from UK or ROI based masters students or anyone with related knowledge. They are wondering if it is common for all Ireland based physics schools to require a 2:1 in their degree to apply for masters courses and if this guarantees no admission. They also ask if they will need to look to the UK for MSc courses that will accept them. The speaker has seen some masters courses that only require a 2:2 to apply, which may be beneficial for those who did not perform as well
MichaelJT
This year 18/19 I will be graduating in December/January with a 2:2 in Physics from QUB in NI. I would absolutely love to have further research/academia in my future physics career. I would like some advice from a UK or ROI based masters students (preferably on the island of Ireland) or anyone with related knowledge on what would be a reasonable course of action to help me continue this goal. From what I can tell all Ireland based physics schools require a 2:1 in my degree to apply for masters courses. How common is this? Does this guarantee no admission? Does it just mean I will need to look to the UK for MSc courses that will accept me? Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've seen quite a few masters courses that only require a 2:2 to apply, I think they can sometimes be like this to allow people such as yourself who "underperformed" (for lack of a better word) to pursue a masters. If you look around you should find some :)

What is a "2:2" from a UK university?

A "2:2" refers to a classification of a bachelor's degree in the UK, also known as a second-class honors degree. It is awarded to students who have achieved an average grade between 50-59%, which is considered a good overall performance.

What are the requirements for obtaining a "2:2" from a UK university?

To obtain a "2:2" from a UK university, you typically need to complete a minimum of 360 credits, which includes both core and elective courses. You must also pass all required modules and maintain a minimum overall grade average of 50-59%.

How does a "2:2" from a UK university compare to other degree classifications?

A "2:2" is considered a good degree classification in the UK and is equivalent to a grade of C in the American grading system. It is below a "2:1" (second-class honors, upper division) and a first-class honors degree, but above a third-class honors or a pass degree.

What opportunities are available with a "2:2" from a UK university?

Having a "2:2" from a UK university can open up a variety of career opportunities, including entry-level positions in various industries. It can also serve as a foundation for further education, such as pursuing a master's degree.

How can I improve my chances of getting a "2:2" from a UK university?

To improve your chances of obtaining a "2:2" from a UK university, it is important to stay organized, attend all lectures and seminars, seek help when needed, and consistently work hard and submit high-quality assignments. It is also helpful to engage in extracurricular activities and develop practical skills that can enhance your resume.