2D Green's Function - Bessel function equivalence

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving showing the equivalence of two equations involving Bessel functions. The equations involve a change to cylindrical coordinates and a substitution is suggested to help see the connection.
RUber
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

This is not a homework problem per se, but I have been working on it for a few days, and cannot make the logical connection, so here it is:
-- The problem is to show that
##\frac{1}{4\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{ e^{-\sqrt{\xi ^2 + \alpha^2 } |y-y'| + i \xi (x-x') }}{\sqrt{\xi ^2 + \alpha^2 }} d\xi= \frac i4 H_0^{(1)}(i \alpha R) = \frac 1{2\pi} K_0(\alpha R) ##
Where ##R=\sqrt{(x-x')^2 + (y-y')^2 } ##.
##\alpha## is the constant wavenumber of a time-harmonic wave.
This is part of the nitty-gritty explanation of the 2D free space Green's function for waves.
Because the answer is a Bessel function, I expect there to be a change to cylindrical coordinates, which I attempt in section 3.

Homework Equations

I have a claim that the equation above is equivalent to
##i \int_{C(\phi)} e ^{ i k r \cos \beta } d\beta ##
with ##C(\phi)## defined by:
## C(\phi) = \left\{ \begin{array}{l l} \displaystyle
x=-|\phi| & y \text{ from } i \infty \text{ to } 0 \\
y=0 & x \text{ from } -|\phi| \text{ to } \pi - |\phi|\\
x= \pi - |\phi| & y \text{ from } 0 \text{ to } -i \infty
\end{array} \right. ##

Referring to Gradshteyn and Ryzhik, \cite{Gradshteyn2000}, this functional form is equivalent to $\rmi \pi H_0^1(kr)$.

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempting to change to polar coordinates centered at (x',y') using ## x = R\cos\theta, y = R\sin\theta## gives:
##\frac{1}{4\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{ e^{-\sqrt{\xi ^2 + \alpha^2 } R\sin\theta + i \xi R\cos\theta }}{\sqrt{\xi ^2 + \alpha^2 }} d\xi ## for ##\theta \in [0, \pi]##
and
##\frac{1}{4\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{ e^{\sqrt{\xi ^2 + \alpha^2 } R\sin\theta + i \xi R\cos\theta }}{\sqrt{\xi ^2 + \alpha^2 }} d\xi ## for ##\theta \in [ -\pi,0]##.
The reference I have simply says that with an appropriate subsitition, the equivalence can be seen.
I cannot see what change of variables to make from here. I wonder if perhaps there is a more intuitive form of the Bessel K function that might help me see the connection.
Thank you to anyone who might be able to point me in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
A:Hint: The substitution $\xi=\alpha k \tan(\beta/2)$ will transform the integral to the form given in the homework equation.

1. What is a 2D Green's Function?

A 2D Green's Function is a mathematical function used in the study of electromagnetic fields and waves, specifically in two-dimensional systems. It describes the relationship between a point source and the resulting field at any point in space.

2. What is a Bessel function?

A Bessel function is a special type of mathematical function that arises in the solution of differential equations. It is named after the mathematician Friedrich Bessel and is commonly used in the study of wave phenomena.

3. How are 2D Green's Functions and Bessel functions related?

2D Green's Functions and Bessel functions are equivalent in the sense that they both describe the same physical phenomenon - the propagation of waves in two-dimensional systems. Bessel functions are often used to represent the radial component of 2D Green's Functions.

4. Why is the Bessel function useful in the study of 2D Green's Functions?

The Bessel function is useful in the study of 2D Green's Functions because it allows us to solve for the field at any point in space due to a point source. It also has many properties that make it well-suited for mathematical analysis and manipulation.

5. Are there any limitations to using Bessel functions in 2D Green's Function analysis?

While Bessel functions are useful in the study of 2D Green's Functions, they have limitations in certain scenarios. For example, they may not accurately describe the behavior of waves in systems with complex geometries or materials. In these cases, alternative mathematical functions may need to be used.