A few faraday law questions and emf,

In summary, the conversation includes discussions about various physics problems involving magnetic fields, induced currents, and forces. The first problem involves calculating the induced emf in a circular coil placed in a changing magnetic field. The second problem involves determining the induced current and magnetic field in an aluminum ring placed around a long air-core solenoid. The third problem involves determining the current and power in a resistor moving through a magnetic field. The fourth problem involves finding the electric field induced by an oscillating current in a solenoid. The fifth problem deals with calculating various quantities, such as flux, emf, and current, for a rotating loop in a magnetic field. The final problem involves determining the magnetic force on a rectangular coil moving through a magnetic field
Pepsi24chevy
I got a few problems i am working on and getting stuck on. Here is what i got:
Problem 1 A 34 turn circular coil of radius 3.20 cm and resistance 1.00 is placed in a magnetic field directed perpendicular to the plane of the coil. The magnitude of the magnetic field varies in time according to the expression B = 0.0100t + 0.0400t2, where t is in seconds and B is in tesla. Calculate the induced emf in the coil at t = 6.00 s.

So i do, (.032^2*pi)(1.5)(34)/6 and i get 27.3mV but appearantly this is wrong...

Problem 2: An aluminum ring of radius r1 and resistance R is placed around the top of a long air-core solenoid with n turns per meter and smaller radius r2 as shown in Figure P31.7. Assume that the axial component of the field produced by the solenoid over the area of the end of the solenoid is half as strong as at the center of the solenoid. Assume that the solenoid produces negligible field outside its cross-sectional area. The current in the solenoid is increasing at a rate of I / t.
http://www.webassign.net/serpop/p23-4.gif

a) What is the induced current in the ring? (Use u_0 for µ0, r_1 for r1, r_2 for r2, pi for , n, and R as necessary.)
I say it is N(u-0/2*pi*r_1)/R but i am not sure

(b) At the center of the ring, what is the magnetic field produced by the induced current in the ring? (Use u_0 for µ0, r_1 for r1, r_2 for r2, pi for , n, and R as necessary.)
B = (u_0 N/r_2) but once again i am not sure.

problem 3.A conducting rod of length moves on two horizontal, frictionless rails, as in Figure P31.20. A constant force of 1.00 N moves the bar at 2.00 m/s through a magnetic field B that is directed into the monitor.
http://www.webassign.net/pse/p31-20.gif

(a) What is the current through the 9.00 resistor R?
A
(b) What is the rate at which energy is delivered to the resistor?
W
(c) What is the mechanical power delivered by the force Faap?
W

I am not sure how to do this one at all.

problem 4. A long solenoid with 1500 turns per meter and radius 2.00 cm carries an oscillating current given by I = (3.00 A) sin(110t).
(a) What is the electric field induced at a radius r = 1.00 cm from the axis of the solenoid?
E = mV/m

I know we got to do soemthing like E(2pi*r)= -piR^2u_0*N*I d/dt(sint)
= E= (u_0*1500*3.00*omegaR^2/2r) * -cos(omega*t)

problem 5
The rotating loop in an ac generator is a square 12.0 cm on a side. It is rotated at 35.0 Hz in a uniform field of 0.800 T. Calculate the following quantities as functions of time t, where t is in seconds.
(
a) the flux through the loop
I assume i am going to use ba*cos theta?

(b) the emf induced in the loop

I assume i am going to do Ba(T)/t?

(c) the current induced in the loop for a loop resistance of 2.00
A
I assume i will do the emf/2?

(d) the power delivered to the loop
I am not sure how i would find this

(e) the torque that must be exerted to rotate the loop
I am also not sure how i would get this

Problem 6
A rectangular coil with resistance R has N turns, each of length and width w as shown in Figure P31.29. The coil moves into a uniform magnetic field with constant velocity . What are the magnitude and direction of the total magnetic force on the coil for the following situations? (Use N, B, w, v, and R as necessary.)

http://www.webassign.net/serpop/p23-22.gif

a) The coil enters the magnetic field.
F =
(b) The coil moves within the field.
F =
(c) The coil leaves the field.
F =

Wouldn't it just be NBwv/R for all 3 since we are talkin about the magnetic force on teh coil? Or leaving the coil would be like -NNwv/R?

Physics news on Phys.org
A thread is not a solutions manual. Please post your problems on separate threads. Then we can deal with them individually.

Last edited:

1. What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law states that the induced electromotive force (EMF) in a closed circuit is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the circuit.

2. How is Faraday's Law related to electromagnetic induction?

Faraday's Law is the basis for electromagnetic induction, which is the process of generating an EMF in a conductor by changing the magnetic field around it. This is how generators and transformers work, as well as many other electrical devices.

3. What is an EMF?

EMF stands for electromotive force and is a measure of the potential difference or voltage that is induced in a circuit by changing magnetic fields. It is measured in volts and is a key concept in understanding electricity and magnetism.

4. How is EMF calculated?

EMF is calculated by multiplying the rate of change of magnetic flux (measured in webers per second) by the number of turns in the conducting loop. This is known as Faraday's Law of Electromagnetic Induction: EMF = -N(dΦ/dt), where N is the number of turns and (dΦ/dt) is the rate of change of magnetic flux.

5. Can EMF be harmful?

EMF can be harmful at high levels, but in most cases, the EMF from everyday devices such as cell phones and power lines is considered safe. However, prolonged exposure to high levels of EMF may have health effects, and it is important to follow safety guidelines and regulations set by governing bodies.