A Function and its Domain, Codomain and Image

In summary, the function needs to be injective in order for the domain and codomain not to be the same.
ver_mathstats

Homework Statement

Find a function where the domain is integers, codomain is real numbers, and image isn't equal to codomain.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that it means that when I plug in an integer I will obtain a real number, but how do I make it so that the image is not equal to the codomain? I don't quite understand what that means. Does it mean the function is injective?

Here is what I have so far for my first attempt:
f: ℤ→ℝ
f(x)=√x4+5

However if my x is 2 and -2 I get the same answer. So I am struggling with how to get an injective function.

However here is my second attempt:
f: ℤ→ℝ
f(x) = 1/(x3-3)

Is my second attempt correct?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't have to find a 1-1 (injective) function. All you need is that the function image should not be equal to the codomain which in this case is the set of real numbers. So its enough to show that there is a real number ##y## such that there is no ##x## such that ##f(x)=y##.

Both of your examples are correct. To see this take as real number ##y## the ##\pi##. There is no integer ##x## such that ##f(x)=\pi## for both cases of how the function f is defined.

Delta2 said:
You don't have to find a 1-1 (injective) function. All you need is that the function image should not be equal to the codomain which in this case is the set of real numbers. So its enough to show that there is a real number ##y## such that there is no ##x## such that ##f(x)=y##.

Both of your examples are correct. To see this take as real number ##y## the ##\pi##. There is no integer ##x## such that ##f(x)=\pi## for both cases of how the function f is defined.

Okay thank you very much, I understand.

1. What is a function?

A function is a mathematical relationship between two sets of elements, where each element in the first set (called the domain) is associated with exactly one element in the second set (called the codomain). Functions are often represented using equations or graphs.

2. What is the domain of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all input values for which the function is defined. In other words, it is the set of all possible values that can be plugged into the function to produce an output. The domain can be restricted by the rules of the function or by the context of the problem.

3. What is the codomain of a function?

The codomain of a function is the set of all possible output values that can be produced by the function. It is often larger than the range, which is the set of actual output values that the function produces for a given set of input values. The codomain can also be restricted by the rules of the function or by the context of the problem.

4. What is the image of a function?

The image of a function is the set of all actual output values that the function produces for a given set of input values. It is a subset of the codomain and can be thought of as the "mapped" version of the domain elements. In other words, the image is the range of the function when all possible inputs are considered.

5. How are the domain, codomain, and image related?

The domain, codomain, and image are all important components of a function. The domain and codomain determine the possible inputs and outputs of the function, while the image represents the actual outputs produced for a given set of inputs. The image is always a subset of the codomain, and the domain and codomain must be compatible for the function to be well-defined.