A gaussian wavefunction of the harmonic oscillator

In summary, the student attempted to solve a problem involving the expectation value of a potential energy, but ran into trouble with time dependence. He found a workaround by using a generating function.
photomagnetic

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m in the harmonic oscillator potential V(x) = (mω2x2)/2 is described at time
t = 0 by the wavefunction

χ(x, t = 0) = 1/[(2πσ2)1/4] exp[-x2/(4σ2)]

What is <E> at time t?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

<T>+<V>= <E>

I've found the expectation value of V, which is the easy part. just finding x^2 expectation value is enough.
for <T> the formula is pretty straight forward BUT the integral is getting out of hand.
How can I just simplify it?
There is a hint "Hint: Use generating function to calculate overlap integrals" but no matter what I try to do it doesn't look like the integral formula given by the hint.

ey2-(s-y)2= sigma [Hn(y)/n!] sn

Basically it should look like a hermite polynomials. but how =(

Physics news on Phys.org
After a few lines of <T> you end up with having to evaluate a gaussian integral right?
How would you normally do that?

photomagnetic said:

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m in the harmonic oscillator potential V(x) = (mω2x2)/2 is described at time
t = 0 by the wavefunction

χ(x, t = 0) = 1/[(2πσ2)1/4] exp[-x2/(4σ2)]

What is <E> at time t?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

<T>+<V>= <E>

I've found the expectation value of V, which is the easy part. just finding x^2 expectation value is enough.
for <T> the formula is pretty straight forward BUT the integral is getting out of hand.
How can I just simplify it?
There is a hint "Hint: Use generating function to calculate overlap integrals" but no matter what I try to do it doesn't look like the integral formula given by the hint.

ey2-(s-y)2= sigma [Hn(y)/n!] sn

Basically it should look like a hermite polynomials. but how =(
Please show us what you've done so far.

I've found <V>= S Y*(x,t) (mw2x2/2) Y(x,t) which was easy to integrate

for the energy part in the wave function I wrote down e-i[(p2/2m)+V(x)]

<T>= (-h2/2m) S Y* (a2Y /ax2Y)

I am trying to find this. I know that the wave function is the zeroth state's wave function. So <E> should be hbar.w/2

(sorry for my notation)

How is ##\sigma## in the wave function defined? Is it an arbitrary constant or does it have a specific value in this problem?

it is (mw/pi hbar)= 1/σ2
but I don't think I can use that, you need to find the answer w/o knowing σ. so that I will be able to show <E>= hbar w/2

if I use σ as it is, calculating that integral becomes a painful activity.

I don't think you calculated ##\langle V \rangle## correctly. You may want to rethink your approach to this problem.

The idea behind using the generating function is that
$$\int e^{-2xt-t^2}f(x)\,dx = \int \left[\sum_{n=0}^\infty H_n(x) \frac{t^n}{n!}\right]f(x)\,dx
= \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{t^n}{n!}\left[\int H_n(x) f(x)\,dx\right].$$ We evaluate the integral on the left, expand the result in powers of ##t##, and identify it with the expression on the right.

For example, consider the integral
$$\int e^{-2xt-t^2}x^2 e^{-x^2}\,dx = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2} (1+2t^2),$$ which you can verify relatively easily. This result tells us that
\begin{eqnarray*}
\int H_0(x)x^2 e^{-x^2}\,dx &= \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2}, \\
\int H_2(x)x^2 e^{-x^2}\,dx &= \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2} 2\times 2! = 2\sqrt{\pi},
\end{eqnarray*} and all of the other integral vanish.

<YlHlY> this gives the expectation value of energy right?

then <V> gives hbarw/4 which is the answer for the expectation value of the potential energy.
I am 100% sure about that part.
well I'll see about the next part. thank anyway.

If you don't know the value of ##\sigma##, you can't say that ##\psi(x,0)## is an energy eigenstate, so how did you deal with the time dependence when trying to calculate ##\langle \psi(x,t) \lvert V \rvert \psi(x,t) \rangle##?

for harmonic oscillator's wavefunctions.
just like stated in the question.
time doesn't have a role. after calculating the Cn's you see the <E(t)> is equal to <E(t=0)>
after doing that it's simple. I've found the rest as well. Thanks for the replies.

Related to A gaussian wavefunction of the harmonic oscillator

1. What is a gaussian wavefunction?

A gaussian wavefunction is a mathematical function that describes the probability distribution of finding a particle in a certain position in space. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in a harmonic oscillator potential.

2. What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a type of potential energy function that is used to model systems such as springs, pendulums, and atoms. It is characterized by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement of the system from its equilibrium position.

3. How is a gaussian wavefunction related to the harmonic oscillator?

A gaussian wavefunction is used to describe the behavior of a particle in a harmonic oscillator potential. The shape of the wavefunction reflects the potential energy of the system, with the highest probability of finding the particle at the equilibrium point and decreasing probabilities as the particle moves away from this point.

4. What is the significance of the width of a gaussian wavefunction?

The width of a gaussian wavefunction represents the spread or uncertainty in the position of the particle. A narrower wavefunction corresponds to a more localized particle, while a wider wavefunction indicates a larger range of possible positions for the particle.

5. How is the energy of a harmonic oscillator related to the gaussian wavefunction?

The energy of a harmonic oscillator is directly related to the amplitude of the gaussian wavefunction. This means that a higher energy state corresponds to a larger amplitude and therefore a wider spread of the wavefunction. In contrast, a lower energy state has a narrower wavefunction with a smaller amplitude.