A Hamiltonian with a tensor product - a few basic questions

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of a given Hamiltonian for a two electron system, denoted as ##\hat H_2##, which is a tensor product of the known single electron Hamiltonian ##\hat H_1## and the identity matrix ##\mathbb{I}##. The individual is seeking assistance in writing ##\hat H_2## in matrix form and understanding the mathematical structure of the tensor product and the purpose of taking the tensor product with the identity. A helpful resource for understanding the Kronecker product is recommended.
Thomas Brady
I am given a hamiltonian for a two electron system $$\hat H_2 = \hat H_1 \otimes \mathbb {I} + \mathbb {I} \otimes \hat H_1$$
and I already know ##\hat H_1## which is my single electron Hamiltonian. Now I am applying this to my two electron system. I know very little about the tensor product aside from a few basic properties. How would I go about writing my hamiltonian ##\hat H_2## in matrix form? What exactly is the mathematical structure of the tensor product? What is the purpose of taking the tensor product with the identity?

Sorry, I know these are fairly vague questions, but any kind of help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a Hamiltonian with a tensor product?

A Hamiltonian with a tensor product is a mathematical formulation used in quantum mechanics to describe the total energy of a quantum system. It involves the use of a tensor product, which is a mathematical operation that combines two vector spaces to create a new, larger vector space.

2. How is a Hamiltonian with a tensor product used?

A Hamiltonian with a tensor product is used to describe the dynamics of a quantum system. It is often used in the Schrödinger equation, which is the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics, to calculate the time evolution of a quantum state.

3. What are the components of a Hamiltonian with a tensor product?

The components of a Hamiltonian with a tensor product typically include the kinetic energy of the particles in the system, the potential energy of the particles, and any interactions between the particles. It may also include terms for external forces or fields acting on the system.

4. How is a Hamiltonian with a tensor product different from a regular Hamiltonian?

A regular Hamiltonian only considers the individual particles in a system, while a Hamiltonian with a tensor product takes into account the interactions between particles. It is a more comprehensive and accurate representation of a quantum system.

5. Why is a Hamiltonian with a tensor product important in quantum mechanics?

A Hamiltonian with a tensor product is important in quantum mechanics because it allows for the accurate description and prediction of the behavior of quantum systems. It is a crucial tool in understanding and studying the quantum world.