A point charge Q is located on axis.Find flux

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the electric flux through a disk with a point charge located on its axis. The solution provided involves using the formula for flux through a segment and considering the flux through a part of a spherical shell that combines with the disk to form a closed surface. The key is to utilize the fact that the divergence of the electric field is zero everywhere except at the charge's location. This allows for an easy evaluation of the flux without needing to solve an integral.
mentalguy
A point charge Q is located on the axis of a disk of radius R at a distance b from the plane of the disk Show that if one fourth of the electric flux from the charge passes through the disk, then R= √3 b

I have looked it through all angles possible for me but it seems to evade me. Got this solution here http://www.askiitians.com/forums/Electrostatics/13/7495/electrostatics.htm

3. Looking at the above solution...i looked at the figure and thought that it was a cone so electric flux through the disc is area of cone * electrif field. But still i get no answer.In the above page it says that " flux throug a segment " is known and the formula is given but i don't know the derivation of that formula. Can someone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
The electric flux through a surface is defined by
[tex]\Phi_S=\int_S \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{F} \cdot \vec{E}.[/tex]
Now given the fact that everywhere except at the charge's loacation you have
[tex]\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}=0,[/tex]
you can argue (do it!) that you can evaluate the flux through a part of a spherical shell which combines with the disk to a closed surface. Then it's very easy to evaluate this flux.

Hint: You don't even need to solve an integral but only need the area of the spherical surface!

The right question i should ask is that how to calculate the flux when it makes theta at center?

Related to A point charge Q is located on axis.Find flux

1. What is a point charge?

A point charge is an idealized model of a charged particle that has a negligible size and is located at a single point in space. It is used in physics to simplify calculations and understand the behavior of electric fields.

2. What does it mean for a point charge to be located on axis?

When a point charge is located on axis, it means that the charge is positioned on the same line as the center of the coordinate system, with its distance from the origin being measured along that line.

3. How is flux calculated for a point charge located on axis?

The flux of a point charge located on axis can be calculated using the formula F = Q/4πε₀r², where Q is the charge, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the charge to the point where the flux is being measured.

4. What factors affect the flux of a point charge located on axis?

The flux of a point charge located on axis is affected by the magnitude of the charge, the distance from the charge to the point where the flux is being measured, and the permittivity of the medium surrounding the charge.

5. How does the direction of the electric field affect the flux of a point charge located on axis?

The direction of the electric field does not affect the flux of a point charge located on axis, as the electric field is radial and perpendicular to the surface of the sphere surrounding the charge. The flux is only dependent on the magnitude of the electric field and the surface area of the sphere.