A Poor Man's CMB Primer. Part 2: Bumps on a Blackbody - Comments

In summary, Brian Powell submitted a new PF Insights post that discusses how the velocity of the Earth relative to the CMB can be found and how it is not relative, in the sense that there is a fundamental reference frame compared to which we may define the absolute velocity of any observer.
bapowell
Science Advisor
Insights Author
bapowell submitted a new PF Insights post

A Poor Man's CMB Primer. Part 3: Bumps on a Blackbody

blackbody.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Last edited:
Likes Jorrie, marcus, Telemachus and 1 other person
Space news on Phys.org
Brian you did a wonderful job explaining the reasoning behind predictions then comparing them to observational data. A very commendable effort to render theory understandable to laymen while minimizing collateral damage to peripheral brain cells.

Likes bapowell
"...the velocity of the Earth relative to the CMB can be found..."
so could we say that velocity is not relative, in the sense that there is a fundamental reference frame compared to which we may define the absolute velocity of any observer?

eltodesukane said:
"...the velocity of the Earth relative to the CMB can be found..."
so could we say that velocity is not relative, in the sense that there is a fundamental reference frame compared to which we may define the absolute velocity of any observer?
No! The velocity of the Earth is determined relative to the rest frame of the CMB. The rest frame of the CMB is the frame of reference in which it appears isotropic: it is a frame that is comoving with the universe and so in a very real sense is at rest with respect to the universe. This indeed makes it special, but it is still just any other frame (the physics is the same in this frame as any other we might choose)

For those interested, I have made significant revisions to this post, in particular, I have added a discussion of the temperature power spectrum (new material begins below Figure 11). I was intending to defer these details to the next note, but as I sat down to write that one, it became apparent that they really belong here.

Likes Jorrie and Greg Bernhardt
Thanks Brian; for first time I have a "good feeling" on the secrets lurking in the CMB. ;)

The error bars correspond to an obnoxious 400 standard deviations, σ. Why 400σ? Because the more well-mannered 3, 4, or 5σ errors are too small to be seen against the thickness of the line making up the theoretical blackbody curve. File this under “superb and insanely exquisite experimental confirmation of deep and profound theoretical result.” It’s truly impressive.

Buahaha! :DD

Yes, that is correct. Thanks for the correction!

The minor tick marks on the bottom scale of Fig.14 look weird (the top scale appears fine and I think the bottom should match it).

GeorgeDishman said:
The minor tick marks on the bottom scale of Fig.14 look weird (the top scale appears fine and I think the bottom should match it).
Thanks for the comment. The axes are measuring different things that are inversely related; hence the difference in minor tick marks.

I'm assuming it's supposed to be a simple log scale, hence the distance between consecutive ticks should decrease as the values increase. The distance from 30 to 20 is much less that that from 10 to 20, but after that it increases, the distance from "90" to "100" is much larger than from "20" to "30". At a guess, the "20" looks right but the spacing of "30" to "90" seems mirror-imaged. I've marked up an image and included a roughly similar log scale from an Excel graph to illustrate what I mean. I may be mistaken but it just looks odd unless the ticks are not multiples of 10. I've also added a reversed scale if that's what was meant.

temp_PF_scale_error.png

p.s. A reversed scale would mean the bottom minor tick marks are 11.11, 12.50, 14.29, 16.67, etc. but I didn't think that ##l## could have fractional values.

Last edited:
p.p.s [too late to edit the previous] The equation above the graph says ϑ=π/ℓ radians but the graph starts at (I think) ℓ=2 and ϑ=90 so seems to be in degrees which is fine but if the top ticks are then meant to be 80, 70, 60 degrees etc., I think they might be the wrong way round too.

OK, I see now. Yes, the axes are messed up. I'll go back and check what might have happened: I was having difficulty getting the two separate x-axes to look right...apparently I didn't succeed after all.

I tried to replicate your graph in Excel but I can't find a simple source of the data, Planck publishes it in FITS format and I don't have any easy way to read that on a basic PC without installing software and writing scripts. Anyway, assuming you use degrees and the highest ell is 2508 (based on the FITS description), I think the scales should look something like this for ℓ from 2 up to 3000 and ϑ=180/ℓ from 90 down to 0.06 degrees:

CMB spectrum.png

1. What is a blackbody?

A blackbody is an object or system that absorbs all incoming electromagnetic radiation and emits radiation at all wavelengths according to its temperature. It is considered to be an idealized concept and does not exist in nature, but many objects in the universe can be approximated as blackbodies.

2. How do bumps on a blackbody spectrum relate to the cosmic microwave background (CMB)?

The bumps on a blackbody spectrum refer to the peaks and valleys that represent the different wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a blackbody. The CMB is a remnant of the Big Bang and is thought to be the radiation emitted by a nearly perfect blackbody. Thus, studying the bumps on the CMB spectrum can provide insights into the early universe.

3. What is the significance of the bumps on a blackbody spectrum?

The bumps on a blackbody spectrum represent the distribution of energy emitted by a blackbody at different wavelengths. This distribution is known as the Planck curve, and it can provide information about the temperature and composition of the blackbody.

4. Can the bumps on a blackbody spectrum be used to study other objects in the universe?

Yes, the bumps on a blackbody spectrum can be used to study other objects in the universe by comparing their spectra to that of a blackbody. This can help scientists determine the temperature and composition of these objects.

5. How does the shape of the bumps on a blackbody spectrum change with temperature?

The shape of the bumps on a blackbody spectrum changes with temperature, with higher temperatures resulting in a wider and flatter curve. This is because a higher temperature means more energy is being emitted at all wavelengths, resulting in a more evenly distributed spectrum.