A question for physics students and professors :)

In summary, if you want to be a successful physicist, you should learn math, learn to program, learn good computer habits, and learn to write cursive/shorthand for taking notes. You should also make sure you understand your career path options with your degree, and try to find a mentor or study friend.
Amira bn
What are the things you wished to know before starting your education in university?
Like skills and somethings like that?

I'm going to start physics after a year or two, and I want to be ready to start, what are the things I should learn?

Physics news on Phys.org
How to talk to girls :(

Simon Bridge said:
How to talk to girls :(

I'm a girl lol

I wished I had better developed study habits, as in being willing to take an extra half an hour if something wasn't perfectly clear instead of saying "I've been studying for four hours, time to do something else". Also that many textbooks are available on the interwebs.

Likes Amira bn
You need to learn the importance of getting enough sleep. Seriously, make it a priority, and you will do far, far better in your courses.

Likes vela, Orson and Amira bn
Amira bn said:
I'm a girl lol
Case in point: I totally messed up talking to you ...

I don't know what the girl version is.
Generally the women students get better grades - and guys who manage to get a woman study partner get a boost from this (and that guys generally get smarter around women anyway).

Likes Amira bn
To be really ready to study physics.. learn math, math, math and math. Aslo, more of math.

You could split your preparation into three categories,

textbook/online course studying
  • Multivariable Calculus
  • Linear Algebra
  • Statistics
and "tools"
  • learn to program (C++ or Python suggested)
  • learn to use linux
  • learn at least one "advanced" text editor
  • Start to learn to use Mathematica or Maple software
  • learn good computer habits: file organization, backups, version control software, security
  • learn to write cursive/shorthand for taking notes
and "practice"
  • Make sure you understand your career path options with your degree, especially if you intend to get an advanced degree or work as a physicist.
  • Try to find the "lay of the land" - what kind of activities are going on in the physics world right now, and where might you fit in? You could try and interview some practicing physicists.
  • Finding a mentor / study friend
I suppose many of these could be seen as monumental tasks. You don't have to do them all but these are just some ideas. They are meant to be general and not what I personally needed.

Likes Amira bn
I wish I had been more open to other field of physics. I wanted to do astronomy, so that's what I focused on. But looking back after earning the PhD, I think I would have actually been more interested in medical physics, or even biomedical engineering. I wish I hadn't stuck so fiercely to my first pick, and looked around a bit more.

Likes Amira bn

1. What is the purpose of this question?

The purpose of this question is to gain insight from physics students and professors about their experiences and knowledge in the field of physics. It also serves as a platform for discussion and collaboration among individuals interested in physics.

2. Who can answer this question?

This question is open to anyone who has knowledge or interest in physics, particularly physics students and professors. Anyone can share their thoughts and insights, regardless of their level of expertise.

3. Is there a specific format for the answer?

No, there is no specific format for the answer. You can share your thoughts and insights in any way that you prefer, whether it be through text, diagrams, equations, or other means. The most important thing is to provide a clear and informative response.

4. How will the answers be used?

The answers will be used to gather information and insights from different perspectives in the field of physics. They may also be used for research or educational purposes. However, the answers will not be used for any commercial or promotional activities.

5. Can I ask follow-up questions?

Yes, you can ask follow-up questions in the comments section. This is encouraged as it promotes discussion and exchange of ideas among participants. However, please be respectful and constructive in your comments.