A Second Bachelors Degree in Physics

In summary: BB0In summary, the person is considering pursuing physics as their next step after completing a BA in geography. They are worried about money and whether or not it is worth it to continue their education. They are considering whether or not they should pursue a master's degree related to their field or go straight into a physics program.
Krae
Hello,
I know that this question has been posted by others before, and I've read the threads, but I want to hear it again.

I'm about to graduate with a BA in Geography. It has taken 8 years to get it, because I am not made of money and I've spent more time at work than I have at school. In fact, that is why I did not pursue the sciences from the beginning - I thought it would take up too much of my time and I did not want to receive poor grades (stupid, stupid me).

Of course, now older and wiser, I know that science, specifically physics, is what I want to do (the most frustrating part is that I have known this ever since I was about 13). I keep trying to push the idea out of my mind, but its not going away, so here I am.

I'm getting older (sort of... for a student, anyway) and I have to decide: is my next step going to be to settle on a master's degree that relates to my degree, or do I pursue physics? I know that with my background, I would need to start from the very beginning... probably needing to do upgrade courses even just to get into the first year maths/science.
I love school, spending decades in school is not an issue for me - but money, unfortunately, is.

So, go ahead, share your opinion if you have one.
I think I'm crazy. But the idea isn't going away. So what to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
So the real question is which will you regret more: staying in your current field and wondering "what if" for the rest of your life, or spending a few more years in school, which you say isn't the problem (except for financially)?

That's something only you can decide. However, since you already have a BA, a lot of the gen ed courses you won't have to take again I'm guessing. You'll see that a lot of people going for their BS in physics are, in fact, a lot older. In my department at least, there were quite a few people in their low-to-mid 30's who either pursued another career at first or goofed around in their 20's and decided to buckle down.

Overall... it's your life. You only get one shot at it... going into the workforce full-time and then deciding later on down the road that you want to go back to school is a tricky endeavor. It's possible that if you continue in geography, you will kick yourself later, and that to me isn't worth it. But that's a question only you can answer.

Likes Krae
I sympathize with this and posted something along these lines. I also earned a BS in a different field and am sort of regretting it. I am definitely interested in hearing some replies as well.

We have the same thought process. You onl get one shot at this life thing and I sure as hell don't want to think what if. I say go for it if it is what you REALLY want. Good luck on your journey!C89

Likes Krae

1. What is a second bachelor's degree in physics?

A second bachelor's degree in physics is an undergraduate degree program that allows individuals who have already obtained a bachelor's degree in a different field to pursue a second degree specifically in physics.

2. Who is eligible for a second bachelor's degree in physics?

Individuals who have already obtained a bachelor's degree in a different field and have an interest in pursuing a career in physics are eligible for a second bachelor's degree in physics.

3. How long does it take to complete a second bachelor's degree in physics?

The time it takes to complete a second bachelor's degree in physics can vary depending on the individual's prior coursework and the institution they are attending. However, on average, it takes about 2-3 years to complete.

4. What are the benefits of pursuing a second bachelor's degree in physics?

Pursuing a second bachelor's degree in physics can open up career opportunities in the field of physics and related industries. It also allows individuals to gain a deeper understanding and knowledge of the subject, which can be beneficial for those interested in pursuing advanced degrees in the field.

5. Is it possible to transfer credits from my first bachelor's degree towards a second bachelor's degree in physics?

Yes, it is possible to transfer credits from your first bachelor's degree towards a second bachelor's degree in physics. However, the amount of credits that can be transferred may vary depending on the institution's policies and the courses' relevance to the physics degree program.