A stuntman drives a dirt bike on a curved track....

• Thread starter onetimeting
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bike Track
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a stuntman driving a dirt bike on a curved track with a radius of 7.50 m. The question asks for the time at which the magnitude of the total acceleration of the bike will be 5.02 m/s2, given that the initial angular velocity is 0 rad/s and the tangential acceleration is constant at 2.35 m/s2. The solution involves finding the centripetal acceleration using the given total and tangential acceleration, then using it to find the velocity. However, further assistance cannot be given without seeing the student's working.
onetimeting
Homework Statement
A stuntman drives a dirt bike on a curved track with a radius of 7.50 m. If he starts from rest and accelerates at 2.35 m/s2, at what time will the magnitude of the total acceleration of the bike be 5.02 m/s2? (Hint: the tangential acceleration will stay constant at 2.35 m/s2.)

initial angular velocity: 0 rad/s
tangential acceleration: 2.35 m/s2 (constant)
radius=7.50 m
total acceleration=5.02 m/s^2

The attempt at a solution

What I have done thus far is find the centripetal acceleration using the total and tangential acceleration. Then I used the centripetal acceleration and the radius to find the velocity. But I am stuck what to do next, do I find alpha, omega? Any help would be very appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi onetimeting. :welcome:

Please show your working to find the centripetal accelaration.

sorry i was not able to navigate the symbols

onetimeting said:
sorry i was not able to navigate the symbols
You can attach a clear image of a neatly handwritten page.

Without seeing your working, we are not able to help further. That is how the homework help works.

1. How does a stuntman stay balanced while driving a dirt bike on a curved track?

A stuntman relies on a combination of body positioning and skill to stay balanced while driving a dirt bike on a curved track. They use their body weight to counterbalance the centrifugal force and adjust their body and bike accordingly to maintain stability.

2. What safety measures are in place for stuntmen during dirt bike stunts?

Stuntmen undergo extensive training and wear protective gear such as helmets, knee and elbow pads, and specialized suits to minimize the risk of injury during dirt bike stunts. The track is also designed to be as safe as possible, with barriers and padding to cushion any potential falls or crashes.

3. How do stuntmen perform tricks while driving on a curved track?

Stuntmen use their body and bike to perform tricks while driving on a curved track. By shifting their weight and manipulating the handlebars, they can execute a variety of stunts such as wheelies, jumps, and flips.

4. Are there different techniques for driving on different types of curved tracks?

Yes, there are different techniques for driving on different types of curved tracks. For example, on a flat track, a stuntman may use a technique called "drifting" to maintain speed and control around the curves. On a dirt track, they may use jumps and other obstacles to add complexity to their performance.

5. How do stuntmen prepare for driving on a curved track?

Stuntmen typically spend a significant amount of time practicing and perfecting their skills before attempting to drive on a curved track. They also familiarize themselves with the track and its layout to ensure they are prepared for any challenges or obstacles that may arise during the stunt.