About atmospheric remote sensors

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's involvement in atmospheric remote sensors on a satellite and their current study of the physical principles behind their operation and retrieval. They are seeking clarification on how the satellite's orientation affects instrument performance and observations, particularly in regards to the deviation of 30 degrees from the flight direction. They also mention the potential impact on algorithms and radiative transfer models, and invite further input and corrections from experts.
DielsAlder
Hi

I am currently involved in atmospheric remote sensors on board a satellite which collect back-scattered and reflected solar radiation to provide atmospheric composition measurements through an algorithm based on Differential Spectroscoy. I am currently involved in studying the physical principles behind the operation principle and retrieval step for these instruments. Examples are TROPOMI on board the Sentinel-5P and OMI (Aura). I would like to clarify some general aspects through some questions regarding their viewing. I would like to post an exercise and I would appreciate it very much if you could assess if my conclusions are correct . Thanks very much.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
It is okay to post some data. I'm not sure by what you mean by 'viewing', I am guessing analysis and interpretation. If need be, we can move your question into the forum best suited for it.

Thank you. Probably the term "viewing" is not properly used in my . I meant the swath viewed on Earth by the satellite so you are right and I was talking as well about analysis and interpretation of the collected solar radiation during the operation. It will be better explained if I make the statement of the problem, which is as follows:

Suppose that we have a linear array sensor (like GOME-2 for instance) whose assembly (spectrometer, telescope, ports and scanning mirror) is designed to fly oriented into the flight direction, meaning that through a downward looking that sensor scans a swath in the Earth surface perpendicular to the flight direction. It can be seen in the following figure

inBeM1.jpg

All past and current sensors operate in that Nadir looking mode (some of them also in limb or occultation mode)
However there is a change on the instrument accomodation and as a result it is oriented with a deviation of 30 degrees with respect to the flight direction:

HyRy5M.png

The sensor is actually pointing downward with an angle of 30 degrees offset from the flight direction. It is not measuring a swath perpendicular to the flight direction but an inclined one as a result of the 30 degrees angle offset from that direction
IfNLbo.png

My questions are related to the impact of that deviation on instrument performance in comparison with the former orientation into the flight direction when the rest of parameters (satellite and orbit) remain unchanged. In other words how crucial is that orientation regarding that it is unprecedented if we check all past and ongoing sensor missions

1) I do not have clear if there is an impact on the coverage
2) I assume that the ground pixel size depends on its distance along swath (is that correct in linear array sensors?) so the highest spacially-resolved measuremets of the instrument (just below the sensor) do not coincide with pixels imaged just below the satellite (as it would be if the sensor is accommodated oriented into the flight direction). Therefore if satellite orbit is selected as if the sensor is accommodated oriented into the flight direction, resolution will be smaller with the deviated accommodation
3) Regarding observation and calibration, Sun-instrument geometry depends on the selected orbit but also on the instrument accommodation. Sunlight capture will be impacted.
4) As long as Solar Zenith Angle (SZA) varies along the inclined swath, algorithms and radiative transfer model are impacted. I do not have clear if vertical profiles could be achieved as if the sensor is accommodated without the deviation. Algorithms (based on Differential Spectroscopy) should include a correction including the deviation, that is, it must accounted for by on-ground software processing. However I do not know if it is feasible. In other words, since experimental measurements must be corrected by onground modelling, it raises the question of whether experimental data from satellite measurements really worth it. The deviation may lead to a significant uncertainty in the gas retrieval step.

There may be more parameters which should be considered (I am not an expert at all in this field) so I would appreciate it very much if you have more ideas about this problem or suggest any correction in the above statements.

Attachments

• inBeM1.jpg
    inBeM1.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 523
  • HyRy5M.png
    HyRy5M.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 445
  • IfNLbo.png
    IfNLbo.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 450
This from a decidedly non-expert! Given that the sensor is nadir-pointing and you are imaging a sphere, any pixel-size correction would remain the same across the field-of-view regardless of the sensor-orbit orientation. The only difference would be a rotation of parallax correction, if any is used. And of course any ground-truth locations would also need the parallax rotation correction.

Cheers,
Tom

1. What is an atmospheric remote sensor?

An atmospheric remote sensor is a device used to measure various properties of the Earth's atmosphere from a distance. This includes parameters such as temperature, humidity, air pressure, and composition of gases. The sensor collects data through the use of electromagnetic waves or other technologies.

2. How do atmospheric remote sensors work?

Atmospheric remote sensors operate by detecting and measuring the interaction between the Earth's atmosphere and energy emitted from the sun or the Earth's surface. The sensor collects data by recording the amount of energy that is reflected, absorbed, or scattered by the atmosphere. This data is then transmitted and analyzed to provide information about the atmosphere.

3. What are the benefits of using atmospheric remote sensors?

There are several benefits of using atmospheric remote sensors. They allow for the collection of data over a large and remote area, without the need for physical contact. This data can be used to monitor changes in the atmosphere, such as air quality, weather patterns, and climate change. Additionally, these sensors can provide valuable information for forecasting and planning, as well as for scientific research and understanding of the Earth's atmosphere.

4. What types of atmospheric remote sensors are there?

There are various types of atmospheric remote sensors, including radar, lidar, radiometers, spectrometers, and sounders. Each type of sensor uses different methods to collect data and measure different atmospheric properties. For example, radar sensors use radio waves to detect precipitation, while lidar sensors use laser light to measure particles in the atmosphere.

5. What challenges do atmospheric remote sensors face?

One of the main challenges for atmospheric remote sensors is accurately interpreting the data collected. The atmosphere is a complex and dynamic system, and there can be many factors that affect the data, such as clouds, aerosols, and other environmental factors. Additionally, maintaining and calibrating the sensors can be challenging, as they are often located in remote and harsh environments. Technological limitations and funding can also pose challenges for the development and use of atmospheric remote sensors.