Absolutely Convergent, Conditionally Convergent, or Divergent?

In summary, the series is divergent, but it can be made convergent by using the ratio test and comparing the nth terms to the absolute function.
belvol16

Homework Statement

Σ (-1)n-1 n/n2 +4
n=1

Homework Equations

lim |an+1/an| = L
n→∞
bn+1≤bn
lim bn = 0
n→∞

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried multiple things while attempting this solution and got inconsistent answers so I am thoroughly confused. My work is on the attached photo.
I found that the ratio test did not work because the limit equaled 1.
Then I used the comparison test and found that the series was convergent...which I'm really confused about because one can compare n/n2 +4 to n/n2 which is 1/n and is divergent.
Then I compared values of the function to its absolute function and the values were the same...but I'm not sure what that means...
I'm also really not sure what the difference is between being absolutely convergent vs conditionally convergent.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Calculus #4.PNG
    Calculus #4.PNG
    4.5 KB · Views: 489
Physics news on Phys.org
belvol16 said:

Homework Statement

Σ (-1)n-1 n/n2 +4
n=1

Homework Equations

lim |an+1/an| = L
n→∞
bn+1≤bn
lim bn = 0
n→∞

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried multiple things while attempting this solution and got inconsistent answers so I am thoroughly confused. My work is on the attached photo.
I found that the ratio test did not work because the limit equaled 1.
Then I used the comparison test and found that the series was convergent...which I'm really confused about because one can compare n/n2 +4 to n/n2 which is 1/n and is divergent.
Then I compared values of the function to its absolute function and the values were the same...but I'm not sure what that means...
I'm also really not sure what the difference is between being absolutely convergent vs conditionally convergent.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you mean what you wrote, the series is obviously divergent, since the nth term is
$$t_n = (-1)^{n-1}\frac{n}{n^2} + 4$$
(according to you) and ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} 4## is divergent.
However, if you meant to write
$$t_n = (-1)^{n-1} \frac{n}{n^2+4},$$
then that is a different matter entirely.

Use parentheses to clarify the meaning: a/b+c means ##\frac{a}{b} + c##, while a/(b+c) means ##\frac{a}{b+c}##.

I mean tn=(-1)n-1 * n/(n2 +4)
I am new to the fourm and am still learning how to format things.

1. What is the difference between absolutely convergent, conditionally convergent, and divergent?

Absolutely convergent is a mathematical series that converges regardless of the order of its terms. Conditionally convergent is a series that converges only if its terms are arranged in a specific order. Divergent is a series that does not converge and its terms increase without bound.

2. How can you determine if a series is absolutely convergent?

A series is absolutely convergent if the absolute value of each term (ignoring the sign) decreases as the series progresses and the sum of the absolute values of the terms is a finite number.

3. Can a series be both absolutely and conditionally convergent?

Yes, a series can be both absolutely and conditionally convergent. This occurs when the series is absolutely convergent but not uniformly so, meaning that rearranging the terms can change the sum of the series.

4. How do you test for absolute convergence?

The most common test for absolute convergence is the comparison test, where the series is compared to a known convergent or divergent series. Other tests include the ratio test, root test, and integral test.

5. Why is it important to distinguish between absolute and conditional convergence?

Distinguishing between absolute and conditional convergence is important because it impacts the properties and behavior of the series. Absolutely convergent series can be manipulated and rearranged without changing the sum, while conditionally convergent series can have different sums depending on the order of its terms. Divergent series have no sum and cannot be manipulated in the same way as convergent series.