Abstract Algebra Problem using the division algorithm

In summary, the division algorithm for polynomials was applied to find the quotient and remainder when (x^4)-(2x^3)+(x^2)-x+1 is divided by (2x^2)+x+1 in Z7. The quotient is (4x^2)-3x and the remainder is 2x+1. To check the answer, the quotient was multiplied by (2x^2)+x+1 and the remainder was added, resulting in the original polynomial.
xcr

Homework Statement

Apply the division algorithm for polynomials to find the quotient and remainder when (x^4)-(2x^3)+(x^2)-x+1 is divided by (2x^2)+x+1 in Z7.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked the problem and got that the quotient was (4x^2)-3x-1 and the remainder was 4x+2. Are these right? If not then some help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the problem you wrote isn't wrong?

xcr said:

Homework Statement

Apply the division algorithm for polynomials to find the quotient and remainder when (x^4)-(2x^3)+(x^2)-x+1 is divided by (2x^2)+x+1 in Z7.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked the problem and got that the quotient was (4x^2)-3x-1 and the remainder was 4x+2. Are these right? If not then some help would be appreciated.

No, I don't think so. But it's close enough that you understand what you are doing and probably just made a mechanical error. You can check your answer by multiplying 2x^2+x+1 times your quotient and adding the remainder and seeing if you get the original polynomial.

Ok, I think I got it now. I got the quotient is (4x^2)-3x and the remainder is 2x+1. I multiplied the quotient and (2x^2)+x+1 and added the remainder and it came to the original polynomial. Thanks for checking over my work.

xcr said:
Ok, I think I got it now. I got the quotient is (4x^2)-3x and the remainder is 2x+1. I multiplied the quotient and (2x^2)+x+1 and added the remainder and it came to the original polynomial. Thanks for checking over my work.

Closer. Is there another error or did you just mistype the remainder?

Related to Abstract Algebra Problem using the division algorithm

What is abstract algebra and how does it relate to the division algorithm?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields. The division algorithm is a fundamental tool in abstract algebra that allows us to divide one polynomial by another and obtain a quotient and remainder.

What is the division algorithm and how does it work?

The division algorithm states that given two polynomials f(x) and g(x), where g(x) is not equal to 0, there exist unique polynomials q(x) (quotient) and r(x) (remainder) such that f(x) = q(x)g(x) + r(x), where the degree of r(x) is less than the degree of g(x). This algorithm works by repeatedly subtracting multiples of g(x) from f(x) until the degree of the remainder is less than the degree of g(x).

What is the importance of the division algorithm in abstract algebra?

The division algorithm is a powerful tool in abstract algebra because it allows us to perform division in polynomial rings, which are important algebraic structures. This algorithm is also useful in proving theorems and solving equations in abstract algebra.

What are some common applications of the division algorithm in abstract algebra?

The division algorithm is commonly used in polynomial interpolation, where we use it to find a polynomial that passes through a given set of points. It is also used in polynomial factorization, where we use it to find the roots of a polynomial. Additionally, the division algorithm is used in proving theorems related to polynomial rings and in solving equations in algebraic structures.

Are there any limitations to the division algorithm?

Yes, the division algorithm only applies to polynomials with coefficients in a field, which is a type of algebraic structure. It cannot be used for polynomials with coefficients in other algebraic structures such as rings or groups. Additionally, the division algorithm cannot be used to divide by polynomials with more than one variable.