AC Circuit Analysis- Find Impedance

In summary, the conversation discusses a question that involves voltage division with AC phasors. The speaker is struggling with the difficulty of the question and the other person suggests using Nodal Analysis equations to solve for Z. It is also mentioned that taking advantage of the given voltage at one node can make the problem easier.
Valour549

Homework Statement

Screenshot_20180329_072730_1.jpg

2. The attempt at a solution

IMAG5304_1.jpg

Am I doing something wrong? I know it's just voltage division with AC phasors and we have to equate the real parts and imaginary parts to find the unknown, but I feel like the question shouldn't be this hard.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180329_072730_1.jpg
    Screenshot_20180329_072730_1.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 896
  • IMAG5304_1.jpg
    IMAG5304_1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 700
Physics news on Phys.org
How you feel is usually irrelevant. Are you satisfied with the answer? Did you check all your work?

I think you're making it more difficult than it has to be by starting with Z = R + jX, which essentially doubles the number of variables to deal with.

Instead, I would suggest writing Nodal Analysis equations and solving for Z.

upload_2018-3-28_20-21-0.png

Since ##V_o## is already given, you can take advantage of that as that node is "solved" already.

Once you have complex Z you can split it into its R and X components.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-28_20-21-0.png
    upload_2018-3-28_20-21-0.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 382

1. What is impedance in AC circuit analysis?

Impedance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of alternating current in a circuit. It is represented by the symbol Z and is measured in ohms (Ω).

2. How do I calculate impedance in an AC circuit?

To calculate impedance, you need to know the resistance, capacitance, and inductance of the circuit. Then, you can use the formula Z = √(R² + (XL - XC)²), where R is the resistance, XL is the inductive reactance, and XC is the capacitive reactance.

3. What is the difference between impedance and resistance?

Resistance is the opposition to the flow of direct current in a circuit, while impedance is the opposition to the flow of alternating current. Impedance takes into account both resistance and reactance (the opposition caused by capacitance and inductance).

4. How does impedance affect the performance of an AC circuit?

Impedance affects the flow of current in an AC circuit. A higher impedance means there is more opposition to the flow of current, which can lead to decreased performance and efficiency in the circuit.

5. Can impedance ever be zero in an AC circuit?

Yes, impedance can be zero in an AC circuit if the circuit contains only resistive components. This means that there is no reactance present, so the impedance is equal to the resistance of the circuit.