AC Motor Capacitors: Wiring, Diagrams & Troubleshooting

In summary, the conversation discusses the purchase of a good and cheap AC motor that came with its own capacitors, but they were not wired in. The motor came with two capacitors, and the individual attempted to put them together using a diagram, but was unsuccessful. Even when the motor was hooked up without the capacitors, it did not have any power. The individual eventually got the motor working through trial and error.
Shawnzyoo
I picked up a good and cheap AC motor that came with its own capacitors <not wired in though>
The capacitors are these
http://www.weisd.com/store2/NTEMRC370V7R5.html
and this is the diagram on the motor
http://foxhole.kicks-ass.net/diagram.jpg"
Now I tried putting this together but with no luck at all
the motor doesn't seem tohave power at all even if i just straight hook it up without the caps.
am I doing something completely wrong here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
alas sorry for this wasted post
but I just got it working through trial and error

First of all, great job on finding a good and affordable AC motor! Capacitors are an important component in AC motors as they help improve the motor's efficiency and power factor. However, it is important to wire them correctly in order for the motor to function properly.

Looking at the diagram and the capacitors you have, it seems like they are the correct ones for your motor. The first thing to check is if the capacitors are wired in the correct polarity. The positive and negative terminals of the capacitor should be connected to the correct terminals on the motor. If they are reversed, it can cause the motor to not have power or function properly.

Another thing to check is the wiring of the motor itself. Make sure that all the connections are secure and that the motor is wired according to the diagram. If the motor is not wired correctly, it may not have power even with the capacitors connected.

If both the capacitor polarity and motor wiring are correct, then it is possible that the capacitors are faulty. You can test this by using a multimeter to check the capacitance of the capacitors. If they are not within the specified range, then they may need to be replaced.

In summary, make sure the capacitors are wired in correctly and that the motor is wired according to the diagram. If everything is correct and the motor still does not have power, then the capacitors may need to be replaced. I hope this helps and good luck with your AC motor project!

1. What is the purpose of a capacitor in an AC motor?

A capacitor is used to store electrical energy and release it in a controlled manner to help the motor start and run smoothly. It also helps to improve the overall power factor of the motor.

2. How do I know if my AC motor capacitor is faulty?

If your motor is not starting or is making a humming noise, it could be a sign of a faulty capacitor. You can also use a multimeter to test the capacitor's capacitance and check for any visible signs of damage, such as bulging or leaking.

3. How do I wire a capacitor to an AC motor?

The capacitor should be wired in parallel with the motor, with one lead connected to the start winding and the other lead connected to the run winding. Make sure to follow the wiring diagram provided by the manufacturer for your specific motor model.

4. Can I use a higher capacitance capacitor for my motor?

No, it is important to use the recommended capacitance for your motor as stated by the manufacturer. Using a higher capacitance capacitor can cause damage to the motor and decrease its efficiency.

5. How can I troubleshoot capacitor issues in my AC motor?

If you suspect a problem with your capacitor, first check for any visible signs of damage. You can also test the capacitance with a multimeter. If the capacitor is found to be faulty, it should be replaced with a new one of the same capacitance. If the motor still does not function properly, it may be a sign of a larger issue and a professional should be consulted.